Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop very slow?

Options
  • 08-02-2009 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have got a laptop which i bought as a reconditioned laptop. It windows nt ant intel pentium 3 compaq.
    The problem is it is very slow lately. not just the internet but when u start it it takes alot longer to just load the desktop icons. Is there a reason for this or anythin i can do to speed it up. I tryed defragment few months ago. Do i need to do this again or is there anything else

Thanks in advance for any replies and advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 FrancieB

JOHNPT wrote: »
    Hi

I have got a laptop which i bought as a reconditioned laptop. It windows nt ant intel pentium 3 compaq.
    The problem is it is very slow lately. not just the internet but when u start it it takes alot longer to just load the desktop icons. Is there a reason for this or anythin i can do to speed it up. I tryed defragment few months ago. Do i need to do this again or is there anything else

Thanks in advance for any replies and advice

Have you tried adjusting the speed dip switches on the motherboard? Carefully remove the motherboard, desolder the processer and underneath you shall find.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

FrancieB wrote: »
    Have you tried adjusting the speed dip switches on the motherboard? Carefully remove the motherboard, desolder the processer and underneath you shall find.

Good luck

LOL

doing another defrag won't hurt

is it something like this http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-evo-n410c-pentium/4505-3121_7-20212925.html

its probably 6 or 7 years old which will mean it slow
    maybe look at what programs are running at startup and disable them
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Make sure you're not running any bloated antivirus software like Norton or McAfee if so dump them and use something like AVG Free which doesn't use up half as much of your processing power - be careful uninstalling them though - you'll probably need to download a removal tool from their website to get rid of it properly. A friend of mine gave me their laptop recently because it was so slow it was practically unusable - Norton was the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

FrancieB wrote: »

Good luck

And don't forget to top up the Dilithium crystals when you are there. :)

It's most likely loads of programs running at startup.

Go to Start->Run and enter "msconfig". Look at the startup tab and remove some unnecessary programs (trial and error works here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

I have removed the crystals

How do I know which programs to delete.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

JOHNPT wrote: »
    How do I know which programs to delete.
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Go to Start->Run and enter "msconfig". Look at the startup tab and remove some unnecessary programs (trial and error works here).

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    :)

mightn't have msconfig in windows nt though :)

Advertisement