Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrie star Craig Charles 'criticises show's fans'

Options
  • 08-02-2009 4:31am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Coronation Street star Craig Charles has reportedly launched an attack on the soap's fans.

The actor, who plays cabbie Lloyd Mullaney on the ITV1 show, is said to have complained about the harassment he receives from viewers as he spoke before doing a DJ stint in Leeds.

According to the News Of The World, Charles claimed that he can no longer regularly attend football matches with his two daughters because he is mocked so much.

He also allegedly stated that he believes the programme does not attract the same class of viewer as his cult BBC series Red Dwarf, on which he plays Dave Lister.

"I can go [to matches] a bit, but I get so much stick now, and you don't want your kids to hear that. I try and go in disguise," Charles is quoted as saying. "It's especially since I've been on Corrie, and since I started an affair with Liz McDonald.

"I've never had any problems like that with Red Dwarf fans, they're generally intelligent people. Maybe not so much with Corrie, it's kind of lowest common denominator stuff! Even so, the show gets 11 million a night - you can't argue with that."

Charles joined Coronation Street in July 2005. He signed a new three-year contract with the soap in April last year.

(Dipstick.. slag the fans; Corrie bosses love that..)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

he's right though, haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

"If you cant stand the heat ..get off the (old) boiler.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

I've gone right off him since I heard this. I'd say a more likely reason he didn't get hassled during Red Dwarf was that Red Dwarf didn't have any where near the amount of viewers as Corrie so most people didn't know who he was!

Also, he says he gets hassle at football matches so maybe it's football fans that are the problem not corrie fans.

It really p*sses me off how people look down their noses at people who watch Coronation St. If you don't want to watch it fine but p*ss of and let the rest of us alone.

TV snobs are almost as bad as music snobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I've never had any problems like that with Red Dwarf fans, they're generally intelligent people. Maybe not so much with Corrie, it's kind of lowest common denominator stuff! Even so, the show gets 11 million a night - you can't argue with that."
    Maybe he's annoyed at the spiraling cost of Crack :rolleyes:

And No , you cant argue with 11 million viewers .Corries only a bit of light hearted ,early evening smut anyway ;)

Advertisement