Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advent 4211c - forgotten BIOS/system password

Options
  • 08-02-2009 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

I am an idiot..

After a load of security paranoia I decided I'd change my BIOS password. I then decided it would be wise to not use the laptop for 3 weeks. I've gone back to it now and of course .. I haven't a clue what this password I set was.

What's the best way to reset it? The password is setup to block BIOS and system startup.

Will locating and pulling out the battery on the motherboard work? Googling suggests it won't. Other ideas seem to suggest I need access to be able to boot the system to flash the BIOS etc? Any other Google results suggest sending to back to PCW and paying them to sort it out...

Thanks

I am an idiot..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've tried pulling out power cable and battery and holding down the on/off button for approx 5-10 seconds as suggested on another forum. This did not work.

I've tried holding the esc key while loading up the laptop. This did not work.

I want to try this but cannot because it appears you need access to the BIOS to do it.

I've also tried to disconnect the battery for 5 or 10 mins. This did not work.

I remembered it! I feckin remember it! Chrisis averted. Cancel the SWAT teams.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Random wrote: »
    I remembered it! I feckin remember it! Chrisis averted. Cancel the SWAT teams.

WHat was it?

kearnsr wrote: »
    WHat was it?
    tango2

Never pick that as a password. It's a stupid random thing that pops into your head after watching Star Trek or something .. never pick that password. You'll forget it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Random wrote: »
    I've also tried to disconnect the battery for 5 or 10 mins. This did not work.

Just to let you know the battery you have to remove is the cmos battery not the actual battery for the laptop. The cmos battery is a small circular battery on the motherboard.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming the battery (the red circle) is what you're referring to? I plugged out the connector to the motherboard (the blue circle) and I'm assuming that's what should have done the job?

Would be handy to know if it happens again I guess if there is something I could have done short of sending it back to PCW / Currys ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That looks like the battery all right. If there are any other cables coming off it and going to the motherboard then this could be what is supplying power to the cmos. Can't be sure though.

Have you not opened up your one then? :)

Advertisement