Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Be Forced To Do Two Mens Work?

Options
  • 07-02-2009 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for advice.
    Here goes...

I working for a compant on a machine (tradesman),
    4 crews
    4 men per crew- 1 man in charge (known as No.1), me assisting him (No.2)
    and 2 helpers per crew ( all helpers are foreigners, boss wont employ irish men as helpers)

We all work shifts and recently the boss claimed money problems and intends to sack one helper from each shift and try to force the No.2's (me) to do their work as well as my own.

CAN THEY DO THIS???

There is no union in our place. We were told if we refuse he would cut the 4 shift to 3, our shift being the one to go! On another point a few guys were let go before xmas on a basis of last in first out, and they claim our crew is next but having spoken with others workmates a few of them are in after us.

Any advice please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dont see why not.

There are lots of people out there who would kill for a job, even if they had to work twice as hard.

Assuming the work you need to do can be done safely by 2 people, i.e. lifting/operating equipment, then there is nothing stopping him from making you work harder.

As for the issue of who he lets go first, I dont think there is anything stopping him from letting who he wants to go. And if one crew complain about the extra work, and the other crew don't complain about having to do extra work, then thats a clear indicator of which crew is going to get difficult, when he feels the economic pinch further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

syklops wrote: »
    Dont see why not.

As for the issue of who he lets go first, I dont think there is anything stopping him from letting who he wants to go. And if one crew complain about the extra work, and the other crew don't complain about having to do extra work, then thats a clear indicator of which crew is going to get difficult, when he feels the economic pinch further.

He cannot have an unfair selection for redundancy. If he does it is grounds for a claim of unfair dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I would agree that i would have a claim for unfair or selective redundancy and I would not sit around and do nothing about it.

On the other point- The second job I am being asked to do involves me operating a fork-lift, which I have no cert to do so, nobody in the factory does, its just expected of you, I have asked and the boss is not willing to send anyone on a course so answer me this please...

If i take on the extra work and have an accident operating the forklift, god forbid I knock someone down would this allow my boss to say I should not have been on it in the first place and sack me accordingly?

And what happens in the case where my original work is suffering because my time is taken up to cover the second man's work? Does that give my boss the opportunity to sack me also?
    What happened to the statement where "an employee (the helper) cannot be let go and replaced by somebody else? I thought an employee could only be let go if his position no longer existed!!!!

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I would talk to your employer. Tell him you want to keep your job, and you will do whatever he asks you to do during the work day, but the extra work needs to be defined in such a way as to maintain quality.

Basically I would be as reasonable as possible, while letting him know of my concerns.

Your priority at this stage should be keeping your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Regarding the Forklift driving read this...

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/FAQs/Forklift_Truck/

Therefore, employers should not allow anyone to operate, even on a very occasional basis, any lift trucks who have not satisfactorily completed basic training and testing such as that described in the HSA Code, except for those undergoing such training under adequate supervision.

Perhaps you should contact the HSA

Locall: 1890 289 389 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)

* Fax: 01 614 7125
    * Email: wcu@hsa.ie

From previous experience I know they won't tell the employer who contacted them if you wish to remain anonymous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Within reason they can do what they like. Without Union protection and backing and so many hungry people chasing fewer jobs your bargaining position is weak.
    With the threat of losing your job it looks as if there is very little you can do until things improve again which eventually they will.
    The fact that he only hire foreigners as helpers shows he has no regard for the finer points of discrimination law or other aspects of managing people.
    When the good times roll again leave that job and get a better boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Funny you should mention that point brightspark because there is a letter pinned on a noticeboard in our canteen from the health and safety stating someone made a complaint about non-certified drivers operating forklifts without certs while listening to personal media players.

The only incident I can remember was when a van driver came in to pick up a delivery and a foreign helper on a forklift came around a corner too fast and clipped the corner of his van!

+Needless to say nothing has been done by management about this complaint, the non-certified operators still drive the forklifts, they were just told to slow down in them. I once witnessed one operator turn a forklift on its side racing it outside when I was having a smoke, he got another forklift to lift the first one before anyone came outside the factory.

Advertisement