Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems booting to OS but not to Arcade

Options
  • 07-02-2009 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi guys,
    I have an Acer Aspire 9502WSMi and I've been having problems booting it for a number of months now. I dont know what triggered the problems but now I can never power up the laptop first time using the power button. Initially I tried all the standard things such as taking out the battery and trying with just ac power. Then unpluging the power and trying just the battery (the light at the front would indicate that it was fuly charged). None of these options ever worked. However I know there is nothing wrong with the power supply as the laptop comes with Acer Arcade which can be used to play CD's, DVD etc and this has its own power button and I can start this up every time. I know that Arcade sits on its own partition of the PC so there is no link between it and the standard OS.

I then thought that there may be a problem with the panel on which the power button sits so after pushing that panel down and trying to power up maybe 50 or 100 times (sometimes taking me 30 minutes or longer) sometime the laptop would boot up.

As this has been going on for months now I've finally spotted a pattern and found a way in which I can always boot up.
    I need to start Acer Arcade and plug out the ac power so that eventually the battery runs down. After I get the warning beep I shut down Acer Arcade and then plug back in the ac power. When I then try to boot the laptop starts up. It has to be in this order, if I try to boot after I get the warning beep without having the ac power plugged in nothing happens.

There is some relationship between the the charge in the battern, the introduction of the power supply and being able to boot to the Operating System but I have no idea what it is. Would anyone have any tips?

Thanks,
    BB

Full Spec
    Make and Model: Acer Aspire 9502WSMi
    Is it in warranty?: No
    Operating System: Windows XP
    CPU, RAM, GPU: Intel Pentium 1.73 GHz; 2048MB RAM;

Advertisement