Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new laptop, dead hdd from pixmania

Options
  • 07-02-2009 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I brought a new acer aspire 6930 from pixmania last week, arrived on wednesday, opened it last night, i unpacked it and started it up, but as soon as i did there was a strange whineing noise coming from it, i took the cover off the back and i isolated it to be coming from the hdd, so i let it run for few hours and now S.M.A.R.T is telling me hard drive failure is predicted,so rather than send it back to pixmania and risk never getting a laptop back i purchansed a new hard drive, so i went online and brought a new hdd wd2500bevt (same one that was shipped in it)

my question is how do i go about getting vista back onto it, i didnt get a chance to make a recovery disc but there might be enough life left in it to make one, failing that another family has the exact same laptop could i use his recovery discs and my vista licence key?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Send it back asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

not going to send it back, might never see it again from stories i have heard from pixmania,

did some more research, im going to try a program called acronis true image, ive ordered a 2.5 inch sata hdd enclosure, ill make a clone of the other family members 6930 onto the new hdd and change the licence key in mine,

should work as the specs of the laptops are the exact same,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

And you still bought from them....

Anywho, There's a free copy of Acronis 10 going here on this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055478846

Great program.

well unfortuntly i only started reading about pixmania after my hard drive died on the laptop:mad: wouldnt make much sense to send it back, id have to pay shipping fees there and back so thats 60 odd euros couriered, got new hard drive for dimension4 for 74e delivered.

thanks for that link, :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you dont want to risk it you can purchase a compatible sata hdd from E75+and reinatall the original back up disks that came with the laptop.

• Advertisement

problem is i did not get a chance to burn recovery cd's, hard drive died, even if i had i dont think it would install as the new hard drive would be missing the PQSERVICE partition,

where as if i clone the brothers hard drive to the new one, ill have a complete duplicate including the hidden partition, just have to boot it up and change the licence key to mine. should work as the laptops are the exact same model acer 6930

Advertisement