Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ard Nua OR Yeats Village ???

Options
  • 07-02-2009 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    heading for college in sept and gonna live in either Ard Nua or Yeats Village.. But can't decide! Any advice? Which is nicer/bigger/ etc ! thanks in advance! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

In Ard Nua you get a cleaner to come in once a week and clean the apartment for you.
    Yeats Village are not that big,3 single bedrooms and 3 en-suits..well that's in the apartments I've been in.
    Ard Nua are bigger as there is an option for a 5 person townhouse and also a 7 person townhouse IIRC.
    Check out the websites,might help you!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A few things I hate about ard nua is the kitchen and sitting room are combined in one room (pain in the ass if someone is cooking something and you're trying to watch tv) and the internet connection is slow and blocks a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

That tends to be the same in all designated student accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭catrina101

A few things I hate about ard nua is the kitchen and sitting room are combined in one room (pain in the ass if someone is cooking something and you're trying to watch tv) and the internet connection is slow and blocks a lot of stuff.

yeah that sounds like a pain! what do they block? that would suck. i'm leaning towards yeats right now! which bedrooms are nicer??!!! lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bobcar61 wrote: »
    That tends to be the same in all designated student accommodation.
    But both of them aren't the case in the houses in yeats (or at least they weren't when I was there).

@Catrina - Yeats use the college's network for internet access so it's fast and doesn't block much. Ard nua used a shared wireless connection between all the houses (might be wrong on that though). It's slow and if there are a lot of people on it it gets really slow. Even downloading movie trailers is torture on it. I can't remember what exactly they blocked but my friend lived there for a year and was always bítching about it.

I'm not a fan of the guys who run yeats though. They completely ignore the tenancy laws. They would come in to our house without any prior notice (I believe tenancy laws state you have to give at least 24 hours notice). Also one friday night at about 8PM we were sitting in the kitchen talking (all be it a little loudly) and we had a knock on the door telling us to keep it down. There was no-one else in the houses on our row.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

Both are way overpriced and you will get cheaper going through private landlords. I think Ard Nua is dearer

Having said that, you will meet way more people and make great friends staying in student villages.

Also look at Clarion Village. Its run by the same crowd that run Yeats.

Yeats would be the biggest of the villages. Advantage of Clarion is that there is a shop in the village.

I think Ard Nua is tiled throughout and Yeats and Clarion have carpets. Ard Nua also has alot less students than both Yeats and Clarion.

http://www.ardnua.com/
    www.yeatsvillage.ie
    www.thevillageclarion.ie

Be weary of deposits and stuff. These management companies tend to screw you for every cent they can. Make sure to take photos of everything when you move in.

li@mo wrote: »
    Be weary of deposits and stuff. These management companies tend to screw you for every cent they can. Make sure to take photos of everything when you move in.

Don't just do this. Date the pictures and get someone from the management company to sign it. We made the mistake of not doing this and paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

catrina101 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    heading for college in sept and gonna live in either Ard Nua or Yeats Village.. But can't decide! Any advice? Which is nicer/bigger/ etc ! thanks in advance! ;)

one word - Yeats.

li@mo wrote: »
    Both are way overpriced and you will get cheaper going through private landlords. I think Ard Nua is dearer

Having said that, you will meet way more people and make great friends staying in student villages.

Also look at Clarion Village. Its run by the same crowd that run Yeats.

Yeats would be the biggest of the villages. Advantage of Clarion is that there is a shop in the village.

I think Ard Nua is tiled throughout and Yeats and Clarion have carpets. Ard Nua also has alot less students than both Yeats and Clarion.

http://www.ardnua.com/
    www.yeatsvillage.ie
    www.thevillageclarion.ie

yeah i'm leaning towards Yests completely now! thanks a mill :D:D
    But both of them aren't the case in the houses in yeats (or at least they weren't when I was there).

@Catrina - Yeats use the college's network for internet access so it's fast and doesn't block much. Ard nua used a shared wireless connection between all the houses (might be wrong on that though). It's slow and if there are a lot of people on it it gets really slow. Even downloading movie trailers is torture on it. I can't remember what exactly they blocked but my friend lived there for a year and was always bítching about it.

I'm not a fan of the guys who run yeats though. They completely ignore the tenancy laws. They would come in to our house without any prior notice (I believe tenancy laws state you have to give at least 24 hours notice). Also one friday night at about 8PM we were sitting in the kitchen talking (all be it a little loudly) and we had a knock on the door telling us to keep it down. There was no-one else in the houses on our row.

yeahh that's a pain but it sounds wayy better than Ard Nua to me! loads of my friends live there and they like it.

Um i'll be in St Angela's would i need an IT username and password to use the internet? :cool::confused:

jimmmy wrote: »
    one word - Yeats.

why so? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Yeats is better run...strict but fair...the apartments are cleaner and better condition.
    Yeats has better broadband.
    Yeats be slightly closer to college depending on how far up the hill in Yeats you go..

jimmmy wrote: »
    Yeats is better run...strict but fair...the apartments are cleaner and better condition.
    Yeats has better broadband.
    Yeats be slightly closer to college depending on how far up the hill in Yeats you go..
    ooh i'm liking this! i'll be in St Angela's though so that makes no difference to me!

Sweet thanks for all this advice.. Was gonna head to Ard Nua bud deffo in favour of Yeats now ;)

Are the houses or apartments nicer in Yeats ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kornalelly

Which did u stay in? I'm heading to Sligo in Sept too and am also trying to figure it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Tut tut, you'll upset the Modulators now digging up an old thread

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Tut tut, you'll upset the Modulators now digging up an old thread

Was reading this earlier on, and didn't even cop it was an old one.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Still relevant lads, no point in starting another thread. Not unless they knocked one of the places down? (And that's my back seat modulation. :) )

Threads have been locked for less

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brianparsons98

I applied for yeats village with a single room and ensuite but the ensuites are only in the apartments and thered be two other people with me whereas in the house it would be a shared bathroom with fiver (excl me) and the main reason i want to stay in student accomdation is to meet new people because I'll be going into my first year of college but I dont know which to pick? the luxury of an ensuite sounds good

private landlords have plenty of houses with en-suites. might be attached to a double room though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I applied for yeats village with a single room and ensuite but the ensuites are only in the apartments and thered be two other people with me whereas in the house it would be a shared bathroom with fiver (excl me) and the main reason i want to stay in student accomdation is to meet new people because I'll be going into my first year of college but I dont know which to pick? the luxury of an ensuite sounds good
    Just to note. There's two bathrooms shared between four bedrooms in the houses. This is in addition to the ensuite bathroom in the twin room downstairs.

Advertisement