Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shade modelling / simulation?

Options
  • 06-02-2009 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about installing a retractable awning over the patio on the west side of my house. I'm just concerned that depending on the time of day and year,it may not actually provide the shade I want it for, but I have difficulty visualising where the shadow would be cast.

Anybody know of (preferably free!) software available online which would help model this, or have any other suggestions to work this out? I don't want to wait until the summer to put up a test sheet of some kind, because these awnings are much cheaper at this time of year (O'Meara's, for example, are quoting 50% off their RRP)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Google sketchup to build it then import it to google earth for your gps and then light test, all free but how accurate I dont know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Thanks! I'll give that a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

gizmo555 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about installing a retractable awning over the patio on the west side of my house. I'm just concerned that depending on the time of day and year,it may not actually provide the shade I want it for, but I have difficulty visualising where the shadow would be cast.

Anybody know of (preferably free!) software available online which would help model this, or have any other suggestions to work this out? I don't want to wait until the summer to put up a test sheet of some kind, because these awnings are much cheaper at this time of year (O'Meara's, for example, are quoting 50% off their RRP)

Thanks!

Remember the sun sets in the West, so a horizontal awning will be higher than a setting sun. Any awning facing West won't give shade in the evening as the sun sets!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stodwyer

Gizmo i can do shadow impact for you if you want. Just email me your awning dims.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

We have a grave digger..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stodwyer

Ah stop. I didnt even look at the date..
    Oops..

Advertisement