Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most memorable history exhibition/museum

Options
  • 06-02-2009 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what peoples most memorable moment at an exhibition or museum was. I've been to quite a few in my time and there are a few in Dublin which stand out for me. The Military exhibition in Collins Barracks was, heavy, but very well exhibited and I thought the way the information was displayed pulled away from the traditional wall panels which grace the walls of so many museums.

The Bog bodies exhbition in Kildare st is excellent, probably because with the usual archaeology minded morbid facination with bodies but also the way they were ethicially displayed (I know many will argue against this).

A year or two ago I was at the Nobel Peace Prize Museum in Oslo and it had a dark room with a large TOME/volume book in it which had blank pages. But the images on the pages were projected from above and when you wavered your hand over the pages different sections of the pages would open up and expand on the images or information which was being projected on the screen. I could have stayed there all day.

I also think Turlough Park house is interesting from a social history point of view.

I'd be interested to see what everyone else thinks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Anna Frank Museum in Amsterdam. How they managed to hide these peole away for so long in such a tiny space is remarkable ( though it has to be said, that the stress on the Frank family to be cooked up so long in such a tiny area must have been extremely difficult to say the least ). If your ever in Amsterdam, definetly worth a visit.
    Also some of the photographs in the museum of the atrocites carried out in Holland against the resisitance and political opponents is truly horendous, though it must be said unfortunately these practices have been repeated in the Balkans, Rwanda etc

http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=3&lid=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Yeah, I've read a bit about it and they have a section at the end that is specifically designed to create and awareness of how predjudice one can be. I heard it was great though and made you think about what you have just seen in relation to how you can relate that to todays world and where you fit into it.
    Nice one.

Advertisement