Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macroom Bypass

Options
  • 06-02-2009 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Will it ever happen?

Macroom really needs a bypass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

I was told that Macroom could have had a bypass years ago but the local shopkeepers objected as they thought trade would be diverted from the town.
    (A story that could be repeated in other towns eg Bundoran).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Essexboy wrote: »
    I was told that Macroom could have had a bypass years ago but the local shopkeepers objected as they thought trade would be diverted from the town.

Not the case with all towns though. Some towns which got a bypass actually saw an increase in trade when the bypass was made. As with Arklow, making the town easier to get to attracted more commuters to the town which of course increased trade.

Last I heard about the Macroom bypass was that it was held up because of planning problems. I can't see it even starting in the next few years.

But the town definitely needs it though, it has a reputation for being a bottleneck. It's handy to know the shortcuts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

But the town definitely needs it though, it has a reputation for being a bottleneck. It's handy to know the shortcuts :)

Do share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

murphym7 wrote: »
    Do share.

mmmm :D

Sure! Are you normally going to Killarney? Or Millstreet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Killarney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

At this stage when anyone I know is going from Cork to Killarney, especially at peak times, they do all they can to avoid Macroom but it means travelling back roads. Quite dangerous but it saves time.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Pity really because Macroom is a pretty town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 louism

many people of macroom have resigned themselves that it will probably be kerry(they know how to do tourism) if at all who will make this bypass happen, after years of living with lorries and trucks passing through the town, noise and air pollution, the people who walk the streets have become disillusioned to the normality of living on the side of a motorway, where do the people of macroom come into the equation? no benches added or trees planted or pedestrian zones in years , the roads were never made for this kind of traffic, it takes from the town and the Tuesday market is lost in a haze of parking spaces in a supposed square outside a townhall built by the people but serving as offices for some municipal council where there is a lack of local connection, the old bridge when they 'did it up' resembles a fly over bridge, besides all the societal and heritage reasons, I'm surprised health and safety haven't put a stop to this madness. The time has come to start planning for the time when we do have a bypass and we put the people who reside in macroom town back to the forefront. Awaiting news of bypass since the late 90s..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Essexboy wrote: »

I avoid Macroom town like the plague, use the rat run around the back or use another route. The hassle of getting in and out with traffic (esp mart traffic) and the parking charges are off-putting.

Macroom is like the curate's egg, good in parts...

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Macroom remains one of the major bottlenecks on the national primary route network. Many are in the southwest, including Adare and Abbeyfeale. The lack of a strong local demand for a bypass from the traders in these towns has to be a factor. Politicians listen to those with money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Forget about the bypass under the present Fine gael government. Look at the Cork Limerick motorway saga. Cork is getting a bad deal infrastructure wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

This has gone on under successive governments, to be fair. Previous governments, during the boom times, did nothing to address this issue of a Macroom bypass, even though it has been a complete bottleneck for decades.

Advertisement