Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninstalling McAfee-Installing Avast- advise?

Options
  • 06-02-2009 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

OS is XP Pro 2002
    User competency/experience: moderate

Will "Remove programs" in the Control Panel completely remove all parts of the various components and shreds of McAfee from my computer?

Or do I need to use something like "Your Uninstall"?

I assume my steps are thus:
    1. (Have already downloaded Avast 4.8 setup)
    2. Get offline for security (?)
    3. Uninstall all McAfee components
    4. Shut down, restart
    5. Install Avast
    6. Get back online, update Avast files

Please advise if I'm overlooking anything? Will the install work if I'm offline?

Then I have to uninstall AutoCAD and re-install (overdue to install next version anyway).

McAfee's registry cleaner apparently has a reputation for getting a bit over-exuberant and corrupting some AutoCAD drivers causing loss of a few significant functions. Was fed up with McAfee already, but now have cancelled account, getting my €€ back. Ready to clean house.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Thanks very much for the reply, ASJ. I appreciate your taking the time.

I just don't trust McAfee, especially after the last major upgrade. Sneaky divils.

I got impatient and went on and used my Uninstall program and hoped for the best. It uses the target program's uninstaller first, and then looks for leftovers.

This is what would have been left had I used only McAfee's uninstall:
    mcafeeregistryorphanfilia1.jpg

Maybe they wouldn't have mattered, but I wanted them al-l-l-l-l gone.

Advertisement