Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False advertising re a rental propety

Options
  • 06-02-2009 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭

Hi

Wondering if anyone here could here me on this topic.

Is a landlord or agent responsible to advertise a property in a true and reasonable manner. i.e like any other good?

i.e If the house has a fridge and a microwave and it turns out it has neither. Should I get a refund

e.g If the house is advertised as a non-smoking and the landlord says this and the reasonable tenant would rely on this BUT it later turns out that the fellow tenants smoke in the house. Is he liable? Should one get their money/deposit back?

Thanks

Is there an act i could read up on this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

NickDrake wrote: »
    Hi

Wondering if anyone here could here me on this topic.

Is a landlord or agent responsible to advertise a property in a true and reasonable manner. i.e like any other good?

i.e If the house has a fridge and a microwave and it turns out it has neither. Should I get a refund

e.g If the house is advertised as a non-smoking and the landlord says this and the reasonable tenant would rely on this BUT it later turns out that the fellow tenants smoke in the house. Is he liable? Should one get their money/deposit back?

Thanks

Is there an act i could read up on this??

Did you inspect the property personally or take it up unseen? If unseen, was there a written specification in addition, or just the advertisement? Did you speak to the landlord to have the matter resolved? If not, why not? In all honesty, a missing fridge-freezer problem is between you and the landlord and so www.prtb.ie is where to go. Your remedy lies in landlord and tenant law and not in advertising.

If you're still interested :D the nuts and bolts of misleading advertising are contained in a variety of statutes; AFAIK advertisements to do with living accommodation are covered in the Consumer Information Act 1978 along with the bulk of everyday consumer products and services.

Advertisement