Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post primary teacher working in primary school

Options
  • 05-02-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this query?

I have just gotten a post as resource teacher in a primary school until the end of june. The thing is I'm secondary qualified, I have a hon degree, hon masters and hon dip and have been told that none of these except the degree apply in terms of salary!:( is this correct??

I checked a month ago and was told that I would be paid based on my personal point on the scale and now they are saying this isnt the case! just wondering if there is anyone in the same position or knows anything about it,

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

I've already had this argument with both the Dept of Edu and the TC. Unless you are primary trained they will consider you unqualified. :mad:
    In England once you're qualified to teach primary or secondary you can teach any age and be paid the qualified rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

i am a secondary trained teacher (also hons degree, hons masters and hons Hdip) and working as a resource and learning support teacher in primary since october.

i am being paid according to my qualifications. i had to hound them though and send off copies of my qualifications to the DES to get this done (thought this was the point of the TC??).

it was never questioned that i wouldnt be counted as a qualified teacher.

i'd talk to someone else in the DES!

good luck!

Hi Nead 21, can you remember who you dealt with in the DES?
    I spoke to the primary payroll section and was told no way, no how would my qualification be recognised.
    Would be EXTREMELY interested in finding out more about this as I was considering going back and doing the primary hdip just to get the qualified rate.
    Also are you subbing or on a contract?
    Thanks so much, this could save me a whole extra year in college!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sunflower!

Thanks a million for that! I must get back on to them again and hopefully speak with someone else, I've since joined the into and am thinking of getting them involved as when I spoke with them they said they couldn't see any reason I wouldnt get paid for the allowances.

• Advertisement

hot chick wrote: »
    Hi Nead 21, can you remember who you dealt with in the DES?
    I spoke to the primary payroll section and was told no way, no how would my qualification be recognised.
    Would be EXTREMELY interested in finding out more about this as I was considering going back and doing the primary hdip just to get the qualified rate.
    Also are you subbing or on a contract?
    Thanks so much, this could save me a whole extra year in college!!!!

i cant really remember who i dealt with. I had to be transfered from the primary payroll section as they themselves didnt deal with it.

All i remember is that i had to sent off copies of my qualifications, and it too nearly a month to get sorted. I was however reimbursed for the weeks i had been working and not paid accordingly.

The whole thing took MANY phonecalls and the person i dealt with ...well lets just say she clearly never went on the 'how to deal with the public in a polite manner' training!

Oh to answer your last question, im on a temporary contract, apparently they cant make it a permanent one as im secondary qualified..GRRR!

sunflower! wrote: »
    Thanks a million for that! I must get back on to them again and hopefully speak with someone else, I've since joined the into and am thinking of getting them involved as when I spoke with them they said they couldn't see any reason I wouldnt get paid for the allowances.

Hey sunflower,

what type of into membership are you under? I had a look a while back and couldn't work out if I was eligible to join as is says substitutes have to be fully qualified for sub membership. Thanks!

ps. Mailed dept today, ringing them tomorrow, let's see how long this takes! :rolleyes:

Nead21 wrote: »
    The whole thing took MANY phonecalls and the person i dealt with ...well lets just say she clearly never went on the 'how to deal with the public in a polite manner' training!
    Oh to answer your last question, im on a temporary contract, apparently they cant make it a permanent one as im secondary qualified..GRRR!

Thanks Nead21,
    I'll keep at it, as for the temp contract well I guess there' s nothing we can do about it. Was having a look into the Scottish Additional Teaching Qualification for Primary. I know TC recognise it and it's only a term long! But it doesn't seem to be running anymore. Bah and double bah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sunflower!

Hey,

its just a normal membership not the sub one but the one for temp/perm teachers. They take it out of your pay while the primary payroll is paying you and it stops automatically if/when you stop getting paid by them. This means if next year or any other year you work for the primary sector it restarts automatically too! plus 3 months free at the mo

Good luck with it I'm going to ring tomorrow and hopefully get through to someone more helpful than the last ten times!!;)

hey hotchick and sunflower, best of luck with the DES!! :D keep me posted on how you get on

• Advertisement

FINALLY heard back. DES say that because I haven't passed the History and Structure of Education Exam I'm not allowed the qualified rate. I haven't sat it yet because TC took so bloody long to process my application that I missed out on the Nov exam and am waiting to sit May exam.

Am absolutely worn out with this country and the way they treat foreign trained teachers. If my partner wasn't in a very secure job he loves I'd leave tomorrow. The Irish system (gov. bodies, TC, social welfare, etc etc etc) in every sense really does its very best to discourage people from working.

hot chick wrote: »
    Am absolutely worn out with this country and the way they treat foreign trained teachers. If my partner wasn't in a very secure job he loves I'd leave tomorrow. The Irish system (gov. bodies, TC, social welfare, etc etc etc) in every sense really does its very best to discourage people from working.

+1
    its almost like you are asking these people for money out of their own pockets, not actually the money that you have earned or are entitled too!!

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=&pcategory=10861&ecategory=40232&sectionpage=12251&language=EN&link=link001&page=1&doc=16640

"Secondary qualified teachers are paid at the Higher Rate of Substitute Salary"

Of course this won't apply to me because the DES are now saying that I'm not qualified even though I have restricted recognition till I pass this blasted H+S exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭marblesolutions

This happened to me but when I passed the H & S of Irish Education I sent in my qualifications and they did give me the money they owed me, eventually. So check it out you should be entitled to the difference between the two rates when you pass, it will come as a lump sum. :eek:

On the Teaching Council's "Approved Qualifications List"
    (available from this link: http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/registration_information/default.asp?NCID=508 )

it clearly states in section 3 (page 4)

"3. Teachers recognised as Secondary school teachers, under the terms of EU Directive 89/48, in other Member States of the European Union" that "A teacher may be employed at the rate of pay and conditions equivalent to that of a probationer teacher during the period permitted (maximum period of three years) by the Registration Council for compliance with its requirements in relation to shortfalls found in the education and training."

Advertisement