Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a bad winter (like this one) a sign of a good summer on the way ?

Options
  • 05-02-2009 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭

An old friend remarked that bad winters were always followed by excellent summers.

What say everyone?
    Any Stats on this one?

Oh say its true!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

This isn't a bad winter, this has been the best winter in years! :pac:

That's an oul wives tale to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

another way to look at it is,
    two miserable summers in a row, during the eighties, were followed by a very warm summer. now bear in mind the summers of 2007 and 2008 were lousy. so perhaps 2009 will be a Scorcher?

Fingers crossed.
    Doesn't look like I'm heading abroad this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Bad winter? This isn't a bad winter FFS! 1981/2 & 1963 were bad winters!!!

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Bad winter? This isn't a bad winter FFS! 1981/2 & 1963 were badamazing winters!!!

Fixed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

CianRyan wrote: »
    Fixed

Nice one Cian :D
    I have fond memories of building an igloo in the garden a long time ago. Try doing that with the wet stuff passing itself off as snow today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This summer will be so good the winter shall be but a bad memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

This isnt a bad winter. Its supposed to snow in winter so going by that its actually a good winter.
    Hope its just a slightly warm summer this year. I cant handle heat at all. If i look at a light bulb i start sweating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

i hope so , i haven't seen sunlight in months:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looking at wetterzentral the temps could be back in double figures (12/13) by next Thursdsay hopefully with sun - it'll feel like summer! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Bit early to tell but you can only hope we'll have a scorcher....

Here's looking forward to flying around with the canopy slid all the way back :D

mike65 wrote: »
    Looking at wetterzentral the temps could be back in double figures (12/13) by next Thursdsay hopefully with sun - it'll feel like summer! :)

hopefully not, but if so it'll only be temporary anyway:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

1947 was a bad winter. This is what my father tells me....
    1982 was minor in comparison.

1946 had been a very wet summer and Ireland then was more dependent on agriculture, there was no good feeding saved for cattle, sheep etc and food for us humans was rationed after the war.
    It had been freezing hard for a couple of weeks before the snow arrived and then the snow came, rather than measuring in inches you could measure in feet, loads of livestock died and even worse there was this guy who died as the doctor couldn't reach him, now that is a bad winter.
    This winter has been nothing exceptional, it is only different as we are use to mild winters.

Anyway the summer of 1947 was good....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

In fairness i would agree , The majority of times i experienced a good winter (bad in your terms lol) it was usually followed by a hot summer!!

mike65 wrote: »

I'd be more than happy if we could get dry weather from March on with warm temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭worded

Pangea wrote: »
    In fairness i would agree , The majority of times i experienced a good winter (bad in your terms lol) it was usually followed by a hot summer!!

I cant remember what summer it was but there was this really hot day by a beach and I was strolling by families and i over heard this little red dublin kid say

"Da, Im bornt, da Im torsty"

Min wrote: »
    1947 was a bad winter. This is what my father tells me....
    1982 was minor in comparison.

and 1947 was minor in comparison to 1917.
    1917 is regarded as the worst winter of the last century. it wasn't noticeable for sustained cold but for two brief period of extreme snowfall.

in the most extreme event of the two, 1.3 metres of snow accumulated with drift of over 3 metres in some parts of the country.

anyway, the summer of 1917 was a good one.

and 1947 was minor in comparison to 1917.
    1917 is regarded as the worst winter of the last century. it wasn't noticeable for sustained cold but for two brief period of extreme snowfall.

in the most extreme event of the two, 1.3 metres of snow accumulated with drift of over 3 metres in some parts of the country.

anyway, the summer of 1917 was a good one.

Maybe it depends where one lived?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/education/secondary/students/winter.html

Min wrote: »

of course.
    I was referring to 1917 being regarded as the worst winter ever in parts of Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im hoping for a warm to hot dry summer but i can keep dreaming i think. At same time tho i just cant imagine this summer to be worse than last summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I remember my da saying that the air corps had to deliver food round cos the drifts were so bad in the eighties

Advertisement