Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about passport.

Options
  • 05-02-2009 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I'm Irish, I have an Irish passport, my parents are Irish, but I was born in London and lived there for about 3 years and then the parents moved back to the 'Ol country.

It says on my passort, in huge BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS: birthplace UNITED KINGDOM. I really hate this. Why is it necessary to have a birthplace on it?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

The most simple answer is because it was where you were born! ;)

Seriously though, does it really matter? Mine is not Ireland either but they have used the letters to signify my place of birth ....

Generally, it is so they can record you exist and have evidence as to your naturalisation etc.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

What exactly is naturalization?

And yes it kind of matters to me as I'm travelling around africa soon and I don't want to be given any stick for being associated with the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Isn't there another element to it?
    If you have dual nationality as in your case, aren't you excluded from access to Irish consular services in the UK under certain circumstances? IE you don't have certain rights/protections in law that you might have as a foreign national?

Just found a definition for naturalization:
    The origin of the term "naturalization" is that it gives to a resident alien almost all of the rights held by a natural-born citizen.

I'm not a bloody alien, I'm Irish!

Could this have any negative reprocussions on me when I travel to places in Africa or other developing countries? Ex-english colonies etc.?

Hagar wrote: »
    Isn't there another element to it?
    If you have dual nationality as in your case, aren't you excluded from access to Irish consular services in the UK under certain circumstances? IE you don't have certain rights/protections in law that you might have as a foreign national?

Oh for feck sake. How sure are you about this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sorta sure but INAL. Some of our more learned posters will be along in a moment to ridicule my post and set your mind at ease. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Overblood wrote: »

Could this have any negative reprocussions on me when I travel to places in Africa or other developing countries? Ex-english colonies etc.?

I'm not Irish either, but I sure as hell am not an alien!

As to travelling on a British passport (or with the UK mentioned on one), you will be fine. Nobody in Africa is going to molest you due to it. All you need at most border crossings is a bottle of Vodka anyway (since I am African, I am qualified to place that comment!! :D ).

You'd have some issues with an American passport, Libya for example, but otherwise stop worrying about it.

I know there will be checkpoints and border crossings and questions asked, and I just don't want anyone thinking that I'm English.

The big UNITED KINGDOM on my passport is like a festering rashy boil on my bum that I know will never go away. I hate it. I'll have to wear big green paddy hats and rugby jerseys to counterbalance it.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

You're being a bit silly - half of Africa is Commonwealth - thus a UK passport works perfectly.

Most of Africa really respect Irish passports more, believe it or not. This is merely a line on your passport, which is Irish.

Get over it.

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

The big UNITED KINGDOM on my passport is like a festering rashy boil on my bum that I know will never go away. I hate it. I'll have to wear big green paddy hats and rugby jerseys to counterbalance it.

Yes, but the bigger harp device on the front cover and watermarked through every page should make even the most myopic immigration-post officer be fairly convinced what countrys flag you travel under.

Now playing: The Clash - Rock The Casbah
    via FoxyTunes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What does it say on citizens from Derry or Down passports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Not sure but United Kingdom passports say "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" on the front of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

If you were born in London, you were born in the United Kingdom and you can't change that fact. Passports indicate place of birth as an identifying feature (nothing to do with nationality)

some countries such as canada allow you when applying for a passport to ask that the place of birth be left blank but you are warned this may lead to foreign officials refusing visas etc, ireland doesn't offer this however and in any case having a passport with the place of birth field blank is likely to cause many more problems then with one that says uk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

gabhain7 wrote: »
    in any case having a passport with the place of birth field blank is likely to cause many more problems then with one that says uk

I'd imagine telling any immigration official "eh, I can't remember, sher I was only a smallie" wouldn't go down well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I don't think yours is a naturalisation issue. As your parents are Irish Citizens, then you were born an Irish Citizen. No naturalisation required.

In some countries, the UK is very popular. Sierra Leone, for example. But I don't think there's a reason to worry.

You may also be a British Citizen due to your place of birth, though it may be possible to renounce that, if you don't like the idea. If you are a British Citizen, then the Irish embassy can't provide the same level of assitance and protection when in the UK as it could to a "non-British" Irish Citizen.

If "United Kingdom" is really an issue for you, can't you have it put down as "UK" or "London" on your next passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Tom Young wrote: »
    Get over it.

:D Some peoples problems / imaginations ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It says on my passort, in huge BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS: birthplace UNITED KINGDOM. I really hate this. Why is it necessary to have a birthplace on it?

A passport is an identity document. The identity should be capable of being verified by reference to other records. The country of birth is recorded so that the Birth Cert can be traced more easily. You should take up the issue of where you were born with your parents. It was entirely their doing. Your mother in particular has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Anyone born in Northern Ireland is entitled to hold an Irish or UK Passport, whichever they decide themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

daithip wrote: »
    Anyone born in Northern Ireland is entitled to hold an Irish or UK Passport, whichever they decide themselves!

It will still record the birth place in the normal fashion - so would not avert highly strung OP's original issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement