Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my rights

Options
  • 05-02-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I currently work as a graduate accountant in 1 of the Big 4 firms. Every year we have an appraisal process and are graded between 1-5, 1 been lowest, and salary is grade related.
    I was originally graded a 2, but appealed and was phoned by the Head Partner of my dept (who made the decision of 2 in 1st place) and told it was changed to a 3 upon further review.(back in July 2008)
    However my pay never changed and I was being paid as a 4, so technically they owed me money every month. I obviously chased up a lot and was treated with total lack of respect and only found out yesterday that a decision had been reached at top level with HR to not change grades given, so I will not be getting money owed.

My question is this...is there anything I can do? I have 3mths left on my contract which I will not be renewing. As part of my contract it states: "employees may be required to work overtime from time to time". We get paid time and half btw.

Now in next 3mths I am booked to a number of clients which will require me to work a lot of overtime in order to get my work done in the allotted time. Am i within my rights to refuse to work overtime for my remaining 3mths??what sanctions could they take if i do this?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Will you need a reference? And on what terms do you want to leave? Will you need the overtime money if you take time to find another job?

Those are the big questions to ask yourself before you consider whether to refuse to do overtime. I note that the contracts says "employees may be required" rather than "employees may be asked" to do overtime so you may be unable to refuse anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Godge wrote: »
    Will you need a reference? And on what terms do you want to leave?
    Agreed with this. A good reference from a good company may be the foot in the door for a new job. F**king around with your current employer in these times may not be the wisest idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The company gives everyone a standard reference when they leave, no matter how good/bad at your job. I have no overtime left to cash and dont really need to work overtime for monetary purposes for next 3mths.
    I dont care if i p1ss them off tbh, I just want to know that if i was to refuse to work overtime could they have grounds to sack me? Or considering i have only 3mths left, would they bother even trying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes if you signed the contract they could make things very difficult for you, Don't just think of references its also employees that could work in your current company and end up working with you again.
    OK so they messed up your apraisel and they know it but won't budge probably because of the cost.
    leave it at that,
    Work the overtime and take your pay raise that way. Take all you can.

In my opinion the most important thing you can do in your first few jobs is filling up your contacts book with as many people that respect your work, that will always pay off,
    acting the maggot with company will not pay off in the long run.

The over time is in your contract, at most they could let you go due to your inability to fulfill your contract but think of the black mark on your record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I don't understand how they are screwing you over. If anything, you appear to be the one screwing them over.

If I understand correctly -

They gave you a review of 2/5. You appealed. They said they would change it to a 3, but HR intervened and said you are staying on a 2. As a result of this you are refusing to do overtime and don't care if you piss them off. Basically, you are acting like a big baby.

1. It sounds like their review of 2/5 is correct.
    2. How do they owe you money? Maybe I'm thick but if you are being paid as a "4", but you are actually a "2", surely you owe them money?!
    3. Ireland is a small country. This is your first job. Why would you screw up your reference by being a difficult employee? Yes, they might give "standard" references, but people still talk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Did you get written confirmation of your grade change at the time? If not then you probably won't get very far.

If you refuse the overtime expect to be put through their disciplinary process and shown the door without a reference.

Is there another job out there for you if you don't renew? Or is it a case of the contract not being renewed anyway? Your principles becomes a lot less valuable in times of recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Yes, they might give "standard" references, but people still talk.
    If the new employer asks your current company if they'd employ you again, and they said "no", they are not saying anything bad about you, nor anything good about you, but if your old job won't take you back, why would the new job take you on?

Also, if you f**k around the clients, hope that you never work for them again. Otherwise you'll be kicking yourself in the future when there's a sweet job, but you get turned down, as they remembered you.

Advertisement