Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

german gas bottles and pressure

Options
  • 05-02-2009 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    F
    Good luck - if you want to contact me re "dumb questions" like is there a difference in gas bottles (yes), how is the loo worked/emptied, is Right Hand Drive a problem (not at all) etc I will try to help.

db.

A'right feen!
    I’ve recently bought a 20 year old Burstner camper in Germany. It has Truma gas appliances and has a 50mbar regulator. It didn’t come with any gas bottle and I assumed it would connect to an Irish bottle. Wrong!
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I should have brought home a German bottle as I think we have a similar connection here on big 34kg propane bottles, so I could have found somewhere to fill it.
    Worse: on bad advice, I cut off the regulator and somehow managed to squeeze in a normal (28mbar) Irish regulator and attached it with a jubilee clip. It doesn’t appear to work (pressure too low?) and there is a smell of gas in the chamber.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Robierto wrote: »
    A'right feen!
    It has Truma gas appliances and has a 50mbar regulator. It didn’t come with any gas bottle and I assumed it would connect to an Irish bottle. Wrong!
    .... so I could have found somewhere to fill it.
    Worse: on bad advice, I cut off the regulator and somehow managed to squeeze in a normal (28mbar) Irish regulator and attached it with a jubilee clip. It doesn’t appear to work (pressure too low?) and there is a smell of gas in the chamber.
    The smell of gas is a bit worrying - would get that checked. There's a guy operating under the name of Carafix on the Tramore Road near Irish International Trading who repairs and services campers (he charges though, it's his business), or drop in to Buckleys in Mallow, or one of the many sales outfits, or one of the gas filling places below.

Friend has a German van with a fancy dual bottle regulator arrangement. Because of this he kept the German bottles and gets his filled by the crowd in Forge Hill Industrial Estate (beside where The Rib Centre used to be.....) - they would probably be knowledgeable about the 50mb/28mb thing. I believe Calor will fill bottles, and there's a crowd (can't remember the name) who are the FloGas agents around here who are helpful - they are located in Inishannon - through the village, across the bridge, then straight on (not right for Bandon or left for, um, wherever) up into the woods and they are on the left. You will realise why they are out in the woods when you see all the gas bottles and tanks in the yards!

There's a guy down near Coolea who knows his stuff about repairing and adapting campers - can get you his contact details if you need 'em.

If ya gets desperate and need a German bottle (I have even got one with gas in it) give me a shout. Foreign bottles (off boats) turn up here every so often at the Crosshaven boatyard too.

Take it handy, like.
    db.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The gas regulator isn't the only thing set up for 50 mb ...the appliances are as well.

Your fridge / cooker / heating / boiler will not work properly on the lower pressure, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Robierto

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Because of this he kept the German bottles and gets his filled by the crowd in Forge Hill Industrial Estate (beside where The Rib Centre used to be.....) - they would probably be knowledgeable about the 50mb/28mb thing.
    db.

Brillant!
    Thanks for the help - I'm sure one of the above fellas will be able to sort me out.
    Unfortunately, the bad advice I mentioned (about cutting off the 50mb regulator and sticking on a 28mb one) I received up on Forge Hill, though it was from a young fella (I should have got the boss). Rib Centre is still in business btw!
    If it comes to it, I might take you up on that German bottle offer, but I'll ring around first.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

peasant wrote: »
    The gas regulator isn't the only thing set up for 50 mb ...the appliances are as well.

Your fridge / cooker / heating / boiler will not work properly on the lower pressure, if at all.

How come my German campers appliances all work no problem with the Irish bottes and regulator?? Would somebody have changed something before I bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

50 mb is the old standard.

It was reduced to 30 mb (similar to the Irish 28 mb, so everything works) quite a few years ago.

Don't ask me when exactly, though.

(my MH also is 50 mb throughout ...I get my German gas bottles refilled at the local Calor gas depot in Sligo or rather they get it refilled in Ballina at the plant there)

• Advertisement
Advertisement