Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitled to a copy of a contract??

Options
  • 04-02-2009 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi all, maybe somebody can help me with this one?
    My dad was suspended over a (false according to him) allegation against him. Long story short, his work treated him dreadfully and he was made to feel like he hadn't a hope and resigned under pressure. An employment consultant on behalf of the company had him sign some agreement when he resigned but gave dad no copy, he was at the time stressed and confused so didn't think to ask and is now confused about what he signed.

What I'm wondering is, if he is entitled to a copy of what he signed? The consultant won't take or return his calls :confused:

I'm not looking for legal advice on the above messy situation,just does anyone know if you are entitled to a copy of any contract you enter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

Hi all, maybe somebody can help me with this one?
    My dad was suspended over a (false according to him) allegation against him. Long story short, his work treated him dreadfully and he was made to feel like he hadn't a hope and resigned under pressure. An employment consultant on behalf of the company had him sign some agreement when he resigned but gave dad no copy, he was at the time stressed and confused so didn't think to ask and is now confused about what he signed.

What I'm wondering is, if he is entitled to a copy of what he signed? The consultant won't take or return his calls :confused:

I'm not looking for legal advice on the above messy situation,just does anyone know if you are entitled to a copy of any contract you enter?

Yes he is entitled, but maybe the easiest thing would be for him to either speak to a solicitor who could request a copy on his behalf. Easier still, he could make a data protection request. Have a look at the Data Protection Commissioner's website. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oswald

Gangu wrote: »
    Yes he is entitled, but maybe the easiest thing would be for him to either speak to a solicitor who could request a copy on his behalf. Easier still, he could make a data protection request. Have a look at the Data Protection Commissioner's website. Good luck.

Ditto ... anyone can make a data protection request. All you have to do is write to the consultant/employer and ask for all records held by him concerning you. Say u are making the request under the Data Protection Act. You can also say "in particular a copy of a document I signed on X date".

They have to respond within 30 days I think.

Sounds like your dad might have a claim for constructive dismissal. You can contact the Employment Appeals Tribunal directly - google it for the website. You have to make ur claim within 6 months of the date u resigned so u have to move fast. If ur dad is still out of work, it might be worth his while as u can be compensated for ur losses up to 2 years salary.

Best of luck!

Advertisement