Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speakers and tv wiring

Options
  • 04-02-2009 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

for my master bedroom and kitchen in my new build i'm running 2 speaker wires from each room back to the patch panel/HE location .should i run cat 5s to a wall point beside the lite switches for volume control or control the music wirelessly.also is there much benefirt running cat5 to the tv sockets as well as coax. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

i'd definitely run network to tv points. A media server / nas / games console can stream to many tv's now. I find this handy as i can use the tv as a photo frame and separately stream music through the ps3. Look up dlna and upnp for this. As for remote controling stuff from light sockets, depends on the size of the project. I didn't see the need as an rf remote can control all the equipment in a rack in a cupboard and ethernet/ wireless takes care of zone 3 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

If I was a betting man at least three CAT5 cables to work for you( as well as speaker cable). Reason being one for streaming (NAS/PS3) and the other two for HD video feed.
    Volume can be done in room with a in-line volume control. And if you want to run an IR box some use speaker cable as well.
    If you want to really push the boat out a RF remote might be a little easyer on the eye rather than an a odd IR dongle.
    >Sol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

thanks for the replies .for the NAS and regular tv could i have a rj45 socket and a co-ax on the one plate or does the cat5 hook into tv direct (and what would it stream)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

davelerave wrote: »
    does the cat5 hook into tv direct (and what would it stream)

I have a philips tv that has inbuilt DLNA support. DLNA is basically a newer updated UPnP protocol.

Therefore, if I have a source that has a media server that streams to DLNA/UPnP supported connected devices, then it will do so.

In my case, my second device is a ps3. I can access the media stored on my NAS (QNap t109) from both devices, for example photos to the tv and music to the ps3. Other media could be movies or even internet streams (radio or youtube for example).

There are plenty of other media servers (HTPC with windows, linux or osx all support streaming) and streamers available, such as sonos, squeezebox, roku soundbridge, linn majik ds etc etc.

Basically the short answer to your question is yes, run at least one network point to your tv to give you the option of doing something like this now or in the future depending on what technologies your equipment supports.

Advertisement