Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absence disciplinary action

Options
  • 04-02-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Recently I was out sick for a few days. I came back after one week but I hadnt fully recovered and made my self worse so I had to take another week off. I had certs to cover both periods.

My absence record is fine, the last time I was out was sometime in Septemer 2008. If you are absent for more than 10 consecutive days or three times within three months they can take disiplinary action against you. I was recently file noted as I had "approached trigger points" that being absent two times within three months, so nearing thr third.

When applying for internal vacancies, things like disiplinary and file notes are obvisouly taken into consideration, and when I asked would this file note effect my applications I couldn't get a straight answer.

The company I work for seems to get its jollies from file noting and taking disiplinary action, but I'm curious if this is right? I mean I can understand if your talking the piss and dossing off every monday or whatever, but how can they file note you for being absent due to illness? The answer I got was "its for absense not illness" but surely something like that is out of my control?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

there is no set rule with note taking for illness/absence, every company keep some record weather they make that public to the staff is another thing.as for "triger point" and displinary procedures each company will ahve a different mechanisim.

Proper records of staff activities must be maintained in case further required its good practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This issue is going to become very prevalent in the next few months in my opinion.

Every where I have worked had a absence policy. They are not monitoring whether you are sick and whether you can control it or not.
    They are monitoring you level of absence. this has various implications on employment.

the trigger system you mention is very common and is supported by most unions.
    It is usually three periods absence in 3 months,
    absence of more than 4 % of your contracted hours or
    a pattern of absence.

And the answer is yes they can take it to disciplinary if all other options are exhausted.

In your case the usual outcome if your were absence again in the next 5 weeks, a trigger would be met a discussion would take place about your level of absence. If the medical issue you had is not due to re occur and you feel well enough to complete your job, no further action may be taken.

If in the next three months you end up missing 6% of your contracted hours, your previous perfect absence record may prevent any further action.

If over a year you reach 2 triggers and your absence is 6% of contracted hours I would expec you to be offered reduced hours or a trip to the company doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Recently I was out sick for a few days. I came back after one week but I hadnt fully recovered and made my self worse so I had to take another week off. I had certs to cover both periods.

Firstly, why would you go back to work if you were not well enough to be there, doing so puts your health at risk.
    My absence record is fine, the last time I was out was sometime in Septemer 2008. If you are absent for more than 10 consecutive days or three times within three months they can take disiplinary action against you. I was recently file noted as I had "approached trigger points" that being absent two times within three months, so nearing thr third.

When applying for internal vacancies, things like disiplinary and file notes are obvisouly taken into consideration, and when I asked would this file note effect my applications I couldn't get a straight answer.

What exactly did this file note say? Are they bringing you for a disciplinary hearing over this?

In respect to the internal vacancy thing, don't let this go. if whoever you asked was evasive then surely there is someone else in the business that can answer the question that they can ask. Follow it up.
    The company I work for seems to get its jollies from file noting and taking disiplinary action, but I'm curious if this is right? I mean I can understand if your talking the piss and dossing off every monday or whatever, but how can they file note you for being absent due to illness? The answer I got was "its for absense not illness" but surely something like that is out of my control?

Sounds to me like you have an axe to grind here op. Why would you think they are getting their jollies out of it? Seems a bit narrow minded. Are you the only person being treated this way?

I'd seriously doubt that the meeting would have been about your illness, unless they are certified medical practitioners. It would relate to the fact that you were absent for a period of time, and what the company policies are in relation to it, and to make you aware of these policies.

What exactly are you curious of? Jollies? Nothing you can do about that I'm afraid. Disciplinary action? If you are in breach of a companies policy on something then they can bring you to a disciplinary hearing, they are entitled to do so. You should be entitled to bring a representative with you as a witness if you want, and you will also be given the opportunity to have your speak. Look at some of the other threads here, they all say the same thing more or less

Advertisement