Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen's announcement yesterday

Options
  • 04-02-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Any fellow civil servants out there?

Needless to say I'm pretty pissed off (and a hell of a lot worse off - €270 a month to be exact) after yesterday. Add to that the missus getting laid off a couple of weeks ago and things aren't great at the moment.

That's bad enough but with the proposed tax increases on the way in the next budget...I think I'll be doing ALL my shopping in LIDL in future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Sorry mate but you wont get any sympathy off me. I am only working three days a week and may not have a job in the future.
    You still have a cushy, guaranteed job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Portcommuters

Its not easy hearing on the news that your pay is been reduced by 10%. Whilst you are now contributing to your pension you have in effect taken a pay cut.

Hopefully your wife will find another job very soon.

If you consider the introduction of pay parking last October, increase in train fares by 10% and the income levy there is another €100 out of our pockets. I dont think the cost of living is coming down but going in the opposite direction.

Does anyone know of any part-time jobs out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fona

Just to note. As the press have stated it in I think a bad way...

Civil servants have always paid part of their wages towards their pensions. This levy isn't a case of them finally paying towards something. It's an additional payment on top of what they already pay.

And there is no choice on this. It's mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

well if it's such a bad deal you're getting, i expect to see thousands of civil servants leave their jobs to go work in the private sector instead.

...and pigs will fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Well if the Civil Service was such a cushy number why wasn't everyone signing up to join? It wasn't a closed shop. Anyone could have joined, qualifications permitting, like most jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Roaster wrote: »
    Well if the Civil Service was such a cushy number why wasn't everyone signing up to join? It wasn't a closed shop. Anyone could have joined, qualifications permitting, like most jobs.

Everyone working in the civil service? Are you nuts? How can every person work for the government? No private sector at all eh? Good idea!

Those in the private sector can lose their jobs and get their income reduced to zero but that cannot happen in your job. Hence - cushy number.

Like the majority of those in the public sector, your job is 100% safe but you're still not content.
    Those in the private sector are taking pay cuts AND their jobs aren't guaranteed, even if they aren't useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Everyone working in the civil service? Are you nuts? How can every person work for the government? No private sector at all eh? Good idea!.

+1
    Op, you got a safe job, be happy - just modify your spending and you'll be fine unlike most in the dole que's.

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Everyone working in the civil service? Are you nuts? How can every person work for the government? No private sector at all eh? Good idea!

Don't be such a smart arse! Of course I don't mean EVERYBODY, what I was trying to say is that there was nothing stopping people signing up to the Civil Service.

What organisation do you people work for? At least I come on here and say I work in the service. It's very easy to hide behind the keyboard and criticise.

You didn't see me coming on boards and slagging off the private sector when things were great and you were all getting bonuses.

niceirishfella I have modified my spending (unfortunately we were never flippant with our money as unlike the general public view of civil servants I'm one of those who only have an average income) and yes I do know what a dole queue is like as my wife is now on one.

WHY AM I EVEN BITING???

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

What you all being like that for? At the end of the day there are many private sector workers who wouldnt even consider the civil service during the boom. The reason for many being the wages were too low. People in the civil service didnt get the pay increases that those in private did. Good with the bad ...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,167 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

not too much sympathy from me either im afraid... and i dont mean any mallice by this.. .but you should look at it as a fee for having a permenant job....

my brothers company are all on protective notice, theres talk of my office going to a three day week (which would be pointless, as if theres no work, theres no work)....

i have two other brothers in the cival service and they are delighted to be there....

so if i was told today id have to take a 3-5% paycut but i get to retain my job i would take hand and all.....

oh, and you havent lost much in reality.... the government was paying some of your pension as your employer (consider it a bonus!) and now they cant so you have to pay what they were paying.... you havent actually lost any income at all.... the government (through taxpayers) simply can afford to be paying you these bonus pensions....

if your life style has to change so be it...
    imagine what change would be to your life style if you were made reduntant!!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,167 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

undecided wrote: »
    What you all being like that for? At the end of the day there are many private sector workers who wouldnt even consider the civil service during the boom. The reason for many being the wages were too low. People in the civil service didnt get the pay increases that those in private did. Good with the bad ...

good one... are you a professional comic?

Don't be such a smart arse! Of course I don't mean EVERYBODY, what I was trying to say is that there was nothing stopping people signing up to the Civil Service.

What organisation do you people work for? At least I come on here and say I work in the service. It's very easy to hide behind the keyboard and criticise.

You didn't see me coming on boards and slagging off the private sector when things were great and you were all getting bonuses.

niceirishfella I have modified my spending (unfortunately we were never flippant with our money as unlike the general public view of civil servants I'm one of those who only have an average income) and yes I do know what a dole queue is like as my wife is now on one.

WHY AM I EVEN BITING???

Roaster, are you at work whilst posting? if so, back to work! We are paying your wages in your safe job.:rolleyes:

Roaster, are you at work whilst posting? if so, back to work! We are paying your wages in your safe job.:rolleyes:

How do I respond to this......;)

How do I respond to this......;)

I'll respond - BACK TO WORK!:D:D *

*just kiddin with cha!

Advertisement