Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you give examples of your favourite simple trad session tunes?

Options
  • 04-02-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm trying to compile a short list of tunes to go into a very simple trad music session...something along the lines of the Kerry Polka (very simple :) ). I'd really appreciate if you could give me some advice. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Well off the top of my head I'd recommend the following...

Polkas:
    Terry Teehans
    Britches Full of Stiches
    Ballydesmond Polkas 1&2

Slip Jigs:
    Fisherman’s
    Na Ceannbhain Bana

Jigs:
    The Kesh Jig
    My Darling Asleep
    Club Ceili
    The Haunted House
    Haste to the Wedding
    The Connaughtman’s Rambles
    Out on the ocean
    Geese in the Bog
    Saddle the Pony
    Tripping Up the Stair
    Saddle the Pony
    Leg of the Duck

Hornpipes:
    Boys of Blue Hill
    Off to California

Reels:
    Silver Spear
    The Mountain Road
    Shannon Breeze
    Merry Blacksmith
    Come West Along the Road

These are very common/well known tunes and simple enough. Although the difficulty of a tune can depend on what instrument it's played on. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

Thanks a million, that's just what I was looking for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

My favourites are, Cooleys reel, the pinch of snuff, the High level reel, Masons apron, the high reel, Shee beg shee more,Bluebell polka and run into O'Mahonys fancy after. The sally gardens. I have to admit I hate jigs though.
    A great one is Eileen óg in reel time, try it. It has a great ould 'bang' to it. Of course the little beggarman is brilliant when properly arranged as is starlight seranade.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Dennis Murphy's/42 pound cheque/john ryan's (polkas, real easy and everyone will know them)

clare jig/leg of the duck/munster buttermilk (jigs, again well known)

silver spear/wind that shakes the barley (great rousing set, reels)

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭banjobongo

lots of great tunes there guys, however I dont think that the Masons Apron could really be described as a "favourite simple trad tune! On a related point, a key thing to watch out for when playing any of these tunes is the speed/pace, dont be tempted to "race" through these tunes, keep the pace nice and relaxed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement