Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name on birth cert

Options
  • 04-02-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

hi all, there's a story in my family that a gg grandfather of mine was a RIC policeman. I have his daugher's maiden name, taken from my grannies birth cert so I know his surname. However his daughter (my great grandmother) name is down as lily. now I don't imagine that's her proper name, more likely a shortened version.

I'm guessing it might be ellen coz another daughter of hers was called eily which I think is short for ellen. Most people were named after a family member in those days werent' they? Would anyone have any idea is lily short for something else so I can do a more accurate search of records. I cannot locate anything on her. She's my link to obtaining my gg grandfather, the policeman's name, it would be interesting to see where he was stationed. I believe the family were originally wexford but lily was from waterford city, so my dad says anyway.

Another thing - the local GRO office, which is in the local hospital, will they do a search for a dead family member whom I don't have a DOB for. I got my grannies birth cert there before but I had her DOB. The woman who work there are kind of cranky!! My mother had a brother who died as a baby & she'd like to put his name on the family grave. I only have general dates as to when he died. It states clearly on the GRO website they don't offer a geneanagy (sp) service. I'm not living in Dublin so I can't do searches myself. I rely on the internet :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Lily is short for Elizabeth. I've seen it come up a lot in my family.

I don't know what you mean by a local GRO office; I only know of the research centre on Abby street in Dublin or of their headquarters in Roscommon. You can't really employ them to do any searching. All I can suggest is that you ask at the cemetery office where the child is buried and you might find an answer there. The problem is that there are some many names out there on GRO lists that you can't easily find your person without a date of birth/death handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

I've abbreviated GRO - its the General Register Office for registering birth, deaths & marriages. They have local offices in each county. They can do a search on a name & I think it bring's back address aswell but again they won't do it for family research. It cost 10quid to get a cert aswell :mad: Suppose it a deterrent to everyone crowding at the counter searching family.

I was wondering maybe was it Elizabeth, it just seems an unusual name for an irish RC family in the 19th Century, most woman were called Brigid, Mary, kathleen lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

It's Elizabeth alright. I have a couple in my own family going back several generations. Looking at my own family tree I have a Laetitia, a Walter among the Thomases, Donals, and Michaels. And I forgot about the Raphael Sylvester!

Eily is probably short for Eileen. Nellie was usually the diminutive of Ellen. One of those in my family too!

Oh and we were/are RC. No Bridgets in the family at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

PPS.
    I heard a guy on Mooney a week or two ago. He's a guard in Bandon and is an expert on the RIC and personnel. Can't remember his name but if you look on the Mooney website you may find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

If you think Lily (or Elizabeth) may have been born after 1864, you might find her birth cert here (when I say birth cert, I mean index information for her birth cert - not the actual cert). Hopefully the surname your searching for is not too common and you might find a match in Wexford/Waterford.

Using the details from that match (district,year,quarter,volume number,page number), I think you can apply to GRO in Dublin (Abbey St) for the birth cert by post (you might even be able to ring them with the details and get them to send it out to you).

If/when you get that, it should show her father's name and place of residence - which will be a good start! Good luck..

• Advertisement

I've searched the pilot.familysearch.org site but cannot find something concrete. I think really my next step would be to find her marriage cert - that would give her father's name. The irish-roots site as of yet does not have either Waterford or Wexford records on line to search. I'd really want to visit the national library in Dublin, which I think has all these records? yes/no?

But I'd probably spend most of my time trying to orientate myself in there! The one & only time I visited the local library to search the 1901 census, I could not find what I was looking for & I had two staff members trying to locate the correct films for me!! They make it seem easy on the TV programs to search family history but it's not!! They should come with a warning!!

WDYTYA is back on BBC1 now. Yay!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Baybay

jaxy999 wrote: »
    Would anyone have any idea is lily short for something else

Lillian?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The family search site has the marriage indexes on it too - if she was married in Ireland post 1864 (or 1845 if Church of Ireland) but if you want to search indexes by hand, then the research room in Dublin (Irish Life Centre on Abbey St) is the place. If it's prior 1864/1845, then it is the National Library to look at parish registers - but you need to know which parish and an approximate year because they're on microfilm.

And you don't need to spend €10 - there's a €6 photocopy of the cert available for research purposes. Every cent helps with this hobby!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ask on a site like http://www.rootschat.com/.
    It's arranged by country and county.
    It's full of people researching their families. Many of them have access to valuable resources and will do a lookup for free.

There are only too many people out there waiting to part you from your money because you are not in Dublin. Find a kind person who will be doing their own research and get them to look up yours too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 irishfamilys

Hello,

If you forward the details of your ancestor in the RIC I will check the files?

Patrick Hogan

http://www.irishheredity.com

• Advertisement

Hello,

If you forward the details of your ancestor in the RIC I will check the files?

Patrick Hogan

http://www.irishheredity.com

I got my G grandparents wedding certificate & her father is not an RIC officer! So I do not know how or where my father had the impression he was in the RIC. So, I've kind of hit a dead end. Bah!! :D Thanks Patrick.

Advertisement