Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Fruit Trees

Options
  • 04-02-2009 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if they are worth buying? All lidl trees are 6.49e vs 20e in the garden centre. I'm guessing they will be smaller, but thats ok.

Any opinions? They have cox's orange pippins, golden delicious and granny smith (am thinking of the cox's). Also they have 2 pears - might get those too - Doyenne du Comice and Buerre Hardy - which would be best? And do I need two varieties for pollination?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I got some last year & I see that they are onsale in the Cork Lidls tomorrow.
    The plants were smaller , with a weaker stem than the ones you buy in a garden center, possible a year or two younger. At the same time 12 trees , a mixture of apple ( eating & cooking) plum , pear, peach & cherry . One pear tree failed. Because the main stems are less strong than your garden center ones you really need to stake them well from the wind , but they are flourishing & there are plenty of new shoots & buds for this years growth ( when ever the weather improves)

When you buy them it tells you on the lable which ones are self pollinating & which ones need another species to pollinate , I would just see what stock they have when they come in & which ones are required for cross pollination

Advertisement