Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt

Options
  • 04-02-2009 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

I'm just about to buy my first car and I have my heart set on a 02 audi a3 with 52000 miles on the clock. I know audis timing belts always give in and have to be replaced around the 70 80k mark. how much would it cost to have this replaced? Are audi a3 s reliable because i can't afford for lots of things to go wrong with the car. the other car i;m looking at is a 03 honda civic and i know they are more reliable and probaly should go for it instead but the audi is way more fun to drive and really would prefer it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

A lot of people will recommend changing it after 60k so thats pretty soon. Also, do the water pump and tensioners at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

ya ive been told about the tensioners alright. any idea how much your looking at for a job like that?worth my while goin to an audi garage?I presume any good mechanic can do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Indy mech for sure - timing belt prolly €450-ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

As Mr. David said, get it done around the 60k mark, just to be safe. You've heard the horror stories.... My A3 had 65k on it when I bought it and I returned it to the garage the following week to get the timing belt and water pump done, €400 all in.

ok cool thats what i wanted to hear sound

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭conlonbmw

brmccfc wrote: »
    ok cool thats what i wanted to hear sound

How much is it going for, can you stretch to a new shape A3 instead.

its going for 6500 and thats my limit hopfully get it down a few hundred aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

brmccfc wrote: »
    its going for 6500 and thats my limit hopfully get it down a few hundred aswell

€6500 for a 7 year old bog standard A3 is crazy money.

Here is a cheaper one and I'm sure you can get bit off that for buying straight:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1301230

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dillo1

I have an 2006 Audi 1.9 TDI. There are 70,000 mls on it.I've just changed Timing Kit (Belt + Tensioners + Water Pump), Oil change, Oil + fuel filter and Air Filters and replaced brake pads. All for €650 including labour.
    Machanic in Castlebar did the job.

Western Motors in Galway wanted €800 for timing belt kit replacement alone!!! Rip-Off

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rui7

Hi,

I just imported a '03 A3 TDi Sport 130bhp with a load of extras. Its on 69000 miles and timing belt hasnt been replaced.

Ive heard the belt can last up to 100k miles but its hit and miss.

Im gonna get mine done within the week but not sure where the best place to get it done is. Audi dealers cost more but because its a big job and not a frequent one, its probably better to get it done with them. An independent mechanic maybe cheaper but will the work and parts be carried out to Audi standards???

Anyone know where a good deal can be got?

Thanks,

Rui

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Heroditas

rui7 wrote: »
    Hi,

I just imported a '03 A3 TDi Sport 130bhp with a load of extras. Its on 69000 miles and timing belt hasnt been replaced.

Ive heard the belt can last up to 100k miles but its hit and miss.

Im gonna get mine done within the week but not sure where the best place to get it done is. Audi dealers cost more but because its a big job and not a frequent one, its probably better to get it done with them. An independent mechanic maybe cheaper but will the work and parts be carried out to Audi standards???

Anyone know where a good deal can be got?

Thanks,

Rui

You should definitely get it done ASAP. There's no way of knowing if a belt is on the way out. It's pure luck. Even then, your water pump could be nearing its end of life. If that fails, you may as well get the timing belt changed because the belt has to come off to access the pump.
    The impeller on my water pump broke a few weeks ago and the engine overheated .... got it towed to the garage and they said they'd change the timing belt. It's just as well the pump failed because the timing belt was badly scored/worn and could have gone at any time (70000 miles on the clock). It's easier to change a water pump than replace the engine on the car!!!!

Re. an indie doing the job - ask for a guarantee when carrying out the work. Someone here recommended Eugene Walsh in Belfast and he will provide a quote for you if you email him. It'll be a lot cheaper than most places down here and he guarantees his work.

hey,
    thanks for the reply.
    I actually took a huge risk driving it from Uk back to Ireland with the original belt. But I got back.

Im going to ring around tomorrow for quotes in the dublin area and maybe outside dublin.

I got a quote from walsh motors and its seemed reasonable from what ive heard on forums for this work.

I'd prefer to get a Audi garage to do the work just to have peace of mind and also it will stand to me if i sell the car at a later stage having an Audi service history.

I'll see what the price differences are.

Have you work on your car done by walsh motors? Any good?

Thanks,

rui

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Heroditas

rui7 wrote: »
    Have you work on your car done by walsh motors? Any good?

Not me personally, but lads I work with in Belfast have heard of him and they said he has an excellent reputation. Coupled with the experiences of people here, I guess it's as good an endorsement one can get on the net! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nina Conlan

the timingbelt on audi a3 05 is only to be changed at 60 000 miles right not 60 000 km? can anyone pls confirm. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

the timingbelt on audi a3 05 is only to be changed at 60 000 miles right not 60 000 km? can anyone pls confirm. thanks
    I'm pretty sure it's 5yrs/100k kms, whichever comes first.

hi nina,

Mines a diesel and the recommended change for a timing belt on my model is 60000 miles.

For petrol cars its different. If you have the manual for the car it should state what the recommended timing belt change intervals are.

Advertisement