Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips energy saving lightbulbs BOGOF

Options
  • 03-02-2009 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Got a text off www.Experthardware.ie today about a BOGOF offer on philips energy saving lightbulbs. It works out at 2 for a fiver I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Nothing on their boring enough looking website?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

I picked up a pack of 10 for €15 delivered on ebay yesterday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

60w and 75w are on offer. They are €5 but BOGOF

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Gr8 value!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Link?

This type of price would normally be considered a Bargain Alert! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Phillips brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Homebase usually sell the philips energy saving bulbs for silly money. I picked up a tonne of 2 bulbs for 1.99 packs in the one in Limerick last year and have often seen them on offer there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Energy saver bulbs are soooo yesterday, LED bulbs are the way to go. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭dave_29

I disagree, can you throw some light on it to explain! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Soarer wrote: »
    Link?

This type of price would normally be considered a Bargain Alert! :rolleyes:
    davton wrote: »
    Phillips brand?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/TEN-10-PHILLIPS-ENERGY-SAVING-BULBS-RRP-34-90_W0QQitemZ350115176115QQihZ022QQcategoryZ20706QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Edit: Postage on that is £12. I only paid £9 to same seller?! Maybe he realised it was more expensive :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

Tesco UK have an offer on a range of GE energy saving light bulbs they are only 10p each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Ikea has some good deals also. I've changed almost all my home's bulbs for the energy saving ones. The best deal is 3 pack 11 w for £2.93
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40067729

Full list, including incandescent and halogens here:
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/lighting/10764

Ruu wrote: »
    Energy saver bulbs are soooo yesterday, LED bulbs are the way to go. ;)
    Tell us more! I've tried LEDs to replace kitchen downlights. Tried three different models and found the light very harsh and cold. But that one year ago. where are you sourcing yours?

Zynks wrote: »
    Tell us more! I've tried LEDs to replace kitchen downlights. Tried three different models and found the light very harsh and cold. But that one year ago. where are you sourcing yours?

LEDs are defo the way to go, just not as cheap as Cfls and not as much output.

Might be intrested in this link http://www.futureleds.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

These were on offer in Homebase. Last time I bought them, they were 49c each for Philips 11w ones. Worth the wait methinks. Also if in UK check out Robert Dyas on the high street, usually about 50p each, or less: http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=311&storeId=91&productId=18246&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10471&parents_parent_category_rn=10469&top_category_rn=10353&showSubCategory=yes&top=N&cache_entry=-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭signman12

sainsbury's are selling 5 no. philips 11w for only 50p at the moment,
    bought 15 at the weekend in lisburn:)

I've seen and tested many of those. I was not happy with the results, but i am certainly willing to try again. I am sure LEDs will get there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

http://www.futureled.ie/BC22.html
    "INCANDESCENT EQUIVALENT - 20W"

How are you supposed to light up anything with that?

However, I hope we see more LED bulbs soon, after reading about how people can be allergic to them and I don't think it's a good idea to have that much mercury around. I'd be willing to pay a little more if they're safer and use less power.

They are improving LEDs all the time, can get 5w now at a reasonable-ish price.
    Led's are meant to be used mainly as a secondary light, but are improving.

MR16 78 LED LED quantity 78 (~3.5W) Halogen Equivalent 50W.

The mercury isnt great at all, if you smash one i think your meant to leave it ventilate for 20 mins!! and ofcourse cant depose of it in the bin,,,,, ::pac:

little better...
    I also got the text from www.experthardware.ie the deal sounded good so I went into the Inchicore shop. When I was there I explained that I didn’t like the LED down light bulbs that they sell.

1. Because you can’t dim them and 2. The light is not great from them.

The lads behind the counter in Inchicore told me that they have a new Energy Saver range in that uses new technology that you can dim with “NO” worm-up time like CFL and the light is about 98% same as a standard bulb. They come in all fittings including spots. I bought 3 and got the 4th free.

Best place for bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Don't buy non-brand or store-branded neither light tubes nor energy saving light bulbs. They loose their luminiscence much faster than the ones of the BIG brands. You cannot notice that, because you are getting used to the light level slowly, but it is very bad for eyes. At least for working spaces use always brand ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭dave_29

ThOnda wrote: »
    Don't buy non-brand or store-branded neither light tubes nor energy saving light bulbs. They loose their luminiscence much faster than the ones of the BIG brands. You cannot notice that, because you are getting used to the light level slowly, but it is very bad for eyes. At least for working spaces use always brand ones.

I didnt know that now, but i suppose that's the drawback from the cheaper brand!

Supervalu were selling them (Phillips) at E6-7, but had a display recently 2 for E10, until i noticed a local shop had them for E2 each, as the guy's from the north & probably gets them there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Sorry for the OT, but i'm looking for the lowest wattage energy saving bulb available?....the one i have is 3W or 5W...it's equal to a 25W standard bulb, is there anything in the 15W range?....if you see anything like that please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

Monotype wrote: »
    http://www.futureled.ie/BC22.html

How are you supposed to light up anything with that?

However, I hope we see more LED bulbs soon, after reading about how people can be allergic to them and I don't think it's a good idea to have that much mercury around. I'd be willing to pay a little more if they're safer and use less power.

There is no mercury in LED bulbs. You may be thinking of CFL. Also imho people are looking to replace like with like, for example if it takes 6 x 50w halogen to light a 'space' at a total power usage of 300w, doesnt it make sense to fit 10 LED replacements at 2w each to get the same light level for only 20w. I know its not always possible to add on fittings but where there is a will etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Mr Digger wrote: »
    There is no mercury in LED bulbs.

I know - by "them", I meant the CFLs!

Advertisement