Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you be sacked for not getting to work due to icy roads?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

OK.
    Posting this on behalf of someone else.

Part of their public service job involves a 15 mile drive from the local office to a sub office.
    This person could not make that journey due to snow.

They did however make it to the main office and put in a full days work there.

The area manager has practically threatened to sack this person...not in so many word but reading between the lines of a stern giving out thats what was said.
    The roads were very bad and it was snowing but not where the area manager was located or at the sub office.

Can they sack for that ? Can they give a warning? They rubbished the snow excuse and any mention of health and safety.

What course of action do you recommend?

I've told them to record the incident with their union but not to ask them to get involved yet.The manager seems to be a bit of a bully.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Your friend should go to his/her union straight away. He/she did not miss a days work and while it would have been inconvenient that it wasn't in the sub office these things happen. A lot of people would not have made it to work on Tuesday, or been very late and had to leave early. It sounds to me like the Boss is playing on the recent scare of redundancies because he can!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Boss is bully. Icy roads are no joke. Would he prefer a months absence due to coliision with other drivers on our atrocious roads in winter?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Does your friend already have disciplinary problems with his boss?

Has he gotten in trouble for being late before?

Does he have a reputation for poor time keeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

servant wrote: »
    their public service job......

......The area manager has practically threatened to sack this person...not in so many word but reading between the lines of a stern giving out thats what was said..........
    There's something fishy here especially if it's a public service job! Has 'your friend' had previous warnings. Unless in the case of gross misconduct, there is a process involved if the incident merits a reprimand in the first place.

An initial verbal warning must be given, pointing out exactly what the problem is and how to rectify it. if that doesn't succeed a second written warning must be given. If that doesn't succeed a final written warning must be given.

I'd be taking that area manager to task!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

To be fair to her, she is a hard worker and has an exemplary record.
    She has had to genuinely take a good few sick days off in the last year but her colleagues from working with her would be well aware of why.

Plus of course she would have had the medical certificate for them but thats all.
    She is never late-Never and in fact it is her that usually opens up the main office in the mornings and first in.

Yer man - her boss from my reading of it does not know how to get on with people and is very very pushy.They all say that about him.

Yeah thanks for reminding me of the various warnings that she would have to get-she's had none and afaik has had no reason to get one.

This guy is just being a prick basically.Thanks for the replies.
    I'll pass on the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Defo get the union involved and HR. It's a definite H+S issue and maybe she should make representations to have the business's H+S policy changed to reflect this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

How long has she worked there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I remember on at least two occasions people ringing in to say they were on their way and held up in traffic etc....
    Our boss alway reminded them not to panic, be careful and get there in one piece.
    Intel always put safety first inside and outside the campus and would encourage care in getting to work over being exactly on time.
    It would all depend on the overall record of the individual employee of course.
    On the other hand behaviour which led to inability to do ones job, such as drunk driving,losing your license and not being able to get to work on time as a result ( we worked shifts ) would not hold water.

Advertisement