Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year long round the world trip

Options
  • 03-02-2009 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I've had enough of work and all the depression.
    I have some cash in the bank and have decided a trip might be in order.

STA travel has a route from London which hits Singapore, Bangkok, Sydney, Fiji, LA and home (erm.. to London. Near enough after all that)
    Question is...well, I have a few.

1. Can I stay in Thailand for 3 months? I'd like to get there in May but also be there in July to meet some people heading out at that time. I don't want to end up in a jail for overstaying. What can I do? Is it a case of doing the Hokey Cokey for a bit?

2. What do I do with my time? I'd like 6 months in Australia if I can get work. With the stay in Thailand (and the usual four corners around it) I still have 3 months left. Do I just add a few weeks in places here and there? If anyone has a must see place I must see I'll do my best to see it. If I must.

3. Work. Can I work in Thailand? Oz? Fiji?

4. Do I get a better deal through an Irish company than through STA? Come to think of it, is STA any good?

5. I am no student. I wont mind missing the nightclubs but I'd squeeze a pint or two a night if I get the chance. Am I going the right way around this game?

Any help is much appreciated in this cold weather.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

i'm heading soon round the world. my head was wrecked at the start but after a bit of research you'll know what you want. im taking in South America for 3 months and would think its a great option. so much to see and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Am planning to head off myself around August for a year and while I have a vague route in my head I still havent decided for sure what to do. Definitely want to take in Everest on the way through Asia but after that still undecided. Need to start putting in some research and checking out prices.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Spirow wrote: »
    1. Can I stay in Thailand for 3 months? I'd like to get there in May but also be there in July to meet some people heading out at that time. I don't want to end up in a jail for overstaying. What can I do? Is it a case of doing the Hokey Cokey for a bit?

2. What do I do with my time? I'd like 6 months in Australia if I can get work. With the stay in Thailand (and the usual four corners around it) I still have 3 months left. Do I just add a few weeks in places here and there? If anyone has a must see place I must see I'll do my best to see it. If I must.

3. Work. Can I work in Thailand? Oz? Fiji?

4. Do I get a better deal through an Irish company than through STA? Come to think of it, is STA any good?

5. I am no student. I wont mind missing the nightclubs but I'd squeeze a pint or two a night if I get the chance. Am I going the right way around this game?

1. The Thai visa situation changed recently. Look up projectvisa.com
    You could apply beforehand, they'd give you long one, else you only get 15, maybe 30 days on arrival. You can always go out and go back in (not indefinitely but you can do it a few times anyway).

2. Well you're starting in Singapore. You could even go overland from there to Bangkok. Malaysia is amazing and as a solo traveller I found it much better than Thailand. Thailand doesn't really do dorms, or the whole hostel thing (with common room, kitchen - where you meet people basically). Malaysia does. Also, Thailand can get a bit Gran Canaria down in the islands. When I wanted a tranquil glass of wine overlooking the water, I got wet t-shirt competitions and people shouting about 2 for 1 cocktails. Would have been fun were I not alone! Malaysia was so much more peaceful, but I still had drunken fun. But with other solo travellers, I found it very hard to break in to the gangs in Thailand as they were holiday makers over from Europe on a 2 week piss up holiday, whereas in Singapore/Thailand/South America I met other travellers who were out to meet new people.
    Read loads of blogs about these places. I diid, it helped a load. Look up a guy call Conor Grennan (or Grennen). Read his blogs from there - best blog ever!

3. Thailand and Fiji - it's possible but wages are so low and visas so hard to come by that it's not worth it. Aus, NZ and Singapore - yes, easily - go for it.

4. No idea, I went with USIT, I was happy.

5. Not sure what you're asking there. But you're never too old to travel.

Read, read, read. It takes a bitchload of research! Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

I'm about to head off in March. I didn't really know where to start with an itinerary at the beginning, then i listed out everywhere i wanted to go within reason and eliminated as i felt necessary.

I found Trailfinders were brilliant. Even if you don't book with them, they're great for giving advise and telling you how realistic your plans are with your budget.

I'd definitely try to get some of South America in. It's what I'm looking forward to the most. This forum and thornthree are really good for info. bootsnall are good too. Read a few Lonely Planets and a few people's blog and you'll find your itinerary making sense in your head. I went from knowing nothing about S.A. to planning detailed itineraries across Peru and Bolivia (not that i'll stick to 'em!)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I second stopping off in Malaysia. Visited after visting Thailand and I much prefered everything about it - the food, the people, the accommodation.

Tip: Buy yourself a passport cover. My passport is in near perfect condition after 2 years travelling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement