Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP..just got new Laptop Tod..wireless as fast as dialup!

Options
  • 03-02-2009 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Bought a new Laptop today in Peats just near Trinity..the only thing is it has Vista..I'm used to xp..for some reason my wireless connection is about as fast as crappy dialup..its taking me an hour to download Firefox which is 7.16 mbs..download is about 2.8kbs... now my old flatmate had the same problem with his connection . I'd usually be able to fix it if it was on XP but I was never able to fix his..I have full signal and I can use another laptop here and get a 40-70kbs download which is alright for IBB Ripwave..I have no idea how to fix it.... any ideas??..any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

When you say you'd usually be able to fix it in xp, what would you do?
    Click on the connection icon beside the clock on the bottom right, click on the network you're connected to, and tells what speed the connection is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Mina Loy

Its says 54.0 MPS.. well I'd just do the repair thing..turn off wireless , turn it on etc...but it doesn't seem to work right now...I have another laptop beside me and its running fine..I have it switched off and I've reconnected this one and its still slow! I'm sure theres some way to fix it but have never really used vista before I'm a bit confused... all I want is firefox :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

What type of protocol is the laptop running. Is it 802.11g or n? I had this problem with a desktop where the wireless card was designed to work off n and the router was 802.11g compatible. Downloading anything was slow as hell until I upgraded the router

yhwh wrote: »
    What type of protocol is the laptop running. Is it 802.11g or n? I had this problem with a desktop where the wireless card was designed to work off n and the router was 802.11g compatible. Downloading anything was slow as hell until I upgraded the router

I have no idea how to find that out...How do I? (Thanks!:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Try changing the wireless channel on your router, might be some interference.

• Advertisement

center15 wrote: »
    Try changing the wireless channel on your router, might be some interference.

I should have mentioned I'm a complete techno-noob :) Do you mean changing the port at the back of the router where I've connected the ripwave to a different one?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

No the router that the ripwave is connected into if you have that setup. It'd be like a netgear,linksys etc. there should be 11 different channels i think.. just try one 3 or 4 channels away

center15 wrote: »
    No the router that the ripwave is connected into if you have that setup. It'd be like a netgear,linksys etc. there should be 11 different channels i think.. just try one 3 or 4 channels away

:( I have no idea what you mean.....if you could repeat that in really thick laymans terms it'd be much appreciated!!

Advertisement