Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to start one of these, I guess.... 10k on 5th April!

Options
  • 03-02-2009 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

I've made the decision now and I'll stick with it. I'm going to do the Great Ireland run on 5th April.

I do rowing training 3/4 times a week but my fitness is FAR FAR too bad for a J16 rower, while my strength is at an alright level.

And I've decided, right serious training now.
    On Tuesday's and Thursday's (sometimes can't make it one of the days..... damn JC) I train at my club. I do about a 5.3k run as warm up which I can't even do without stopping (except its down to one stop now and then 2/3 20 minute go's on the rowing machines (can get 4.74-4.77 k each time) which are pretty easy for me and Saturday's and Sunday's maybe a 4k run then waterwork. I've started training outside that now and I did a ~4k run (not sure of exact distance) yesterday.

Didn't time myself but I'm starting now. I'll update this thread tonight or tomorrow morning with my training at rowing.

And anyway, this log should keep me motivated!
    8 - 8.5 weeks till Great Ireland Run!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Oh My God - You'll have no hassle with doing the 10k! You're defo way fitter than me anyway that's for sure. I'm only walking at the moment. Planning on a bit of cycling as well to try and build up the ole leg muscles!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

RHRN wrote: »
    I've made the decision now and I'll stick with it. I'm going to do the Great Ireland run on 5th April.

I do rowing training 3/4 times a week but my fitness is FAR FAR too bad for a J16 rower, while my strength is at an alright level.

And I've decided, right serious training now.
    On Tuesday's and Thursday's (sometimes can't make it one of the days..... damn JC) I train at my club. I do about a 5.3k run as warm up which I can't even do without stopping (except its down to one stop now and then 2/3 20 minute go's on the rowing machines (can get 4.74-4.77 k each time) which are pretty easy for me and Saturday's and Sunday's maybe a 4k run then waterwork. I've started training outside that now and I did a ~4k run (not sure of exact distance) yesterday.

Didn't time myself but I'm starting now. I'll update this thread tonight or tomorrow morning with my training at rowing.

And anyway, this log should keep me motivated!
    8 - 8.5 weeks till Great Ireland Run!

Hi RHRN welcome to the boards training logs :) What club are you rowing with? Good stuff on setting the goal for the 5th of April and the fact that you are doing 5.3k for a warm up run (before 3*20 min pieces on the ergo :eek:) would suggest you will have no problem for 10k. Seems to me you are pulling about 2.06 or so for your ergo pieces too which is good strength endurance for J16. What weight are you if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

MCOS wrote: »
    Hi RHRN welcome to the boards training logs :) What club are you rowing with? Good stuff on setting the goal for the 5th of April and the fact that you are doing 5.3k for a warm up run (before 3*20 min pieces on the ergo :eek:) would suggest you will have no problem for 10k. Seems to me you are pulling about 2.06 or so for your ergo pieces too which is good strength endurance for J16. What weight are you if you don't mind me asking?
    I row in Commercial and I have two HOR's (Head Of the Rivers for any non-rowers) coming up soon.
    Even though my strength is good for J16 my fitness really is awful which is why I set the goal of the 10k in April. I've only even done that 5.3k without stopping once or twice. And yeah about 2.05/06 is usually what I keep it at for the 20 mins.
    I don't mind you asking but there's none in my house (weighing scales). I don't know why but I know we did have one. In fact, I've never been weighed since by body fat % test in 1st year, two years ago now. (and believe me, I was FAT then) I think I was 12 and a bit stone, but I was alot smaller than I am now ( I was about 5 ft 7 then) which put me I think 4/5 points overweight. I'm about 6ft now but NO idea about my weight. But judging from people who got weighed in the JCT in my year, I'm maybe (rough estimate now) ~80 Kilos?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Have you thought about using one of the Hal Higdon 10k programs to train for the 10k? There's about 8 weeks to go to it, so it'd be a good time to start.

I'll be seeing you there at the Great Ireland Run anyway - best of luck!

I row in Commercial and I have two HOR's (Head Of the Rivers for any non-rowers) coming up soon.
    Even though my strength is good for J16 my fitness really is awful which is why I set the goal of the 10k in April. I've only even done that 5.3k without stopping once or twice. And yeah about 2.05/06 is usually what I keep it at for the 20 mins.
    I don't mind you asking but there's none in my house (weighing scales). I don't know why but I know we did have one. In fact, I've never been weighed since by body fat % test in 1st year, two years ago now. (and believe me, I was FAT then) I think I was 12 and a bit stone, but I was alot smaller than I am now ( I was about 5 ft 7 then) which put me I think 4/5 points overweight. I'm about 6ft now but NO idea about my weight. But judging from people who got weighed in the JCT in my year, I'm maybe (rough estimate now) ~80 Kilos?

The logical thing people are going to suggest is to get on the HH plan or another 10k plan, however realistically you are a rower and training for rowing. Am I correct in assuming you will be doing some regattas in the summer? Are you in a crew or a scull? Do your crew do much running? If so run with them or run with any other crew who may have a run as part of their plan. First of all, regarding fitness, if you are training with the rowing guys 3 times a week and you can do an hour on the ergo (even the Ultra running guys on this forum would not cherish the thought of that!) you have a good level of fitness there to build on. Secondly you joined Woddle's 1000 challenge so that a good way to stay motivated! Good decision there! With your 3 rowing sessions, I'd suggest getting in another session where you just run. As the weather gets better you will probably be spending more time on the water at Island Bridge so use the session where you 'just run' to gradually increase the distance you run (eg add 3-4 mins per week to the run). If your ergo scores are good you could do 2*20 mins on the ergo and do another 5.3k loop instead of the 3rd rep.

Take the running slow. I was just asking your weight to see if you were one of these bigger juniors! We had a junior at our club once who was 6ft7', 105kg and he could jog around our 4k warm up loop slowly but surly. He could run 10 miles by the end of the summer. He just gradually increased the distance he ran.

• Advertisement

MCOS wrote: »
    The logical thing people are going to suggest is to get on the HH plan or another 10k plan, however realistically you are a rower and training for rowing. Am I correct in assuming you will be doing some regattas in the summer? Are you in a crew or a scull? Do your crew do much running? If so run with them or run with any other crew who may have a run as part of their plan. First of all, regarding fitness, if you are training with the rowing guys 3 times a week and you can do an hour on the ergo (even the Ultra running guys on this forum would not cherish the thought of that!) you have a good level of fitness there to build on. Secondly you joined Woddle's 1000 challenge so that a good way to stay motivated! Good decision there! With your 3 rowing sessions, I'd suggest getting in another session where you just run. As the weather gets better you will probably be spending more time on the water at Island Bridge so use the session where you 'just run' to gradually increase the distance you run (eg add 3-4 mins per week to the run). If your ergo scores are good you could do 2*20 mins on the ergo and do another 5.3k loop instead of the 3rd rep.

Take the running slow. I was just asking your weight to see if you were one of these bigger juniors! We had a junior at our club once who was 6ft7', 105kg and he could jog around our 4k warm up loop slowly but surly. He could run 10 miles by the end of the summer. He just gradually increased the distance he ran.
    We'll be doing Regattas in the summer (and I'll be in a J16 Quad, I think) but HOR's are going on for a while, at least till I think mid-march which is when Comm. HOR is. The crew I'm in now (newbie crew for people in their first year of rowing) do sometimes the 4k run as a warm-up on the weekends (the rest of crew are all much fitter than me when we run, but on a 20min piece on an erg I'll be further than the guy in 2nd by 350-400m each time) but sometimes our coach doesn't bother and we just take out a quad and row for 2/2.5 hours (its not hard pressure though).
    Also, I doubt I'd be able to just go running when the rest of crew are going on the erg for the 3rd time because my coach wants me to get up to 5k for a 20 min (for Heads etc.) My PB is 4794m. TBH he wouldn't care if I can't run so long as I can pull. But I'm trying to get better at running so I set that as my goal (the 10k).
    Have you thought about using one of the Hal Higdon 10k programs to train for the 10k? There's about 8 weeks to go to it, so it'd be a good time to start.

I'll be seeing you there at the Great Ireland Run anyway - best of luck!
    I would but my rowing training takes up so much time I could realisticaly only run on Wednesday's (And Monday OR Friday), and maybe a Tuesday/Thursday if I miss training. (Lots of work for JC, etc.) But the snow's so heavy in Lucan I can't train or run at all! Got to use a crap ancient Exercise Bike that has a broken milometer and speedometer (did 45 mins on that today while watching CSI) did it at a good pace but I don't know how far I went cos the bikes milometer is broken.

Got back maybe an hour ago after doing a 2.5 mile run. Did it in 22:30 mins. So thats 9 min/mile.....Although I have no idea if its good or not. Or even what I should set myself for a 10k. That run would be 10k at maybe 55mins? But I don't really know what to go for :p

EDIT: Turns out that was more like 2.1/2 miles.... mapped the back road wrong

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you're comfortable about running a 9 minute mile in training, stick with that and work on stretching out the distance. You could try using the McMillan Running Calculator to set a target time.

Did 2.8 miles last night (and its defenitely right this time!) but my timer stopped somewhere through it :mad: so it could have been anywhere from 22:45-25:45 mins.

Did 3 trips of the river today ( not sure of the distance each trip) and a 4 mile run before this. Didn't bother bringing a timer as I thought we were weren't running today, but I seemed to do Ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

good goin rhrn,was in memorial park yesterday, saw yis rippin up the water.

Was supposed to do 4, but the rain was so awful I turned back early (really awful, I'd usually run through the rain) did it in 25:32, would have been faster but I was holding back for the last 1.4 which never happened, and the ice was really bad, nearly fell a couple times:o. Rowing was cancelled because of weather.

I have no idea how this happened. Took about 65-70 minutes. Did my 4 mile lap, then said "why not" and did my 3.1 mile lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I have no idea how this happened. Took about 65-70 minutes. Did my 4 mile lap, then said "why not" and did my 3.1 mile lap.

"Why not" often gets you great places, good for you, onwards and upwards from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running! Obviously you're grand for the 10k distance, now start working on your speed.

Rowing training last night. 2 mile run warmup (shorter than our usual one) and 20 min pieces on the ergo. Got:
    1) 4682m
    2) 4593m
    Good bit shorter than I usually get (~4750, and my 2nd doesn't usually drop that far) but it was harder because I had to keep my rate down at 16 strokes per minute. I'm not racing Dublin HOR tomorrow because most of the crew went on holidays:mad: we had to give our boat away because we couldn't fill the 8.

Rowing training last night. 2 mile run warmup (shorter than our usual one) and 20 min pieces on the ergo. Got:
    1) 4682m
    2) 4593m
    Good bit shorter than I usually get (~4750, and my 2nd doesn't usually drop that far) but it was harder because I had to keep my rate down at 16 strokes per minute. I'm not racing Dublin HOR tomorrow because most of the crew went on holidays:mad: we had to give our boat away because we couldn't fill the 8.

Good pieces! It takes concentration, strength and discipline to hold a split at 16! I reckon you will smash 20 mins for your first 5k test :) Just apply the same focus to your running and you will do very well on April 5th

2.5 miles Saturday, then had to take photos of Dublin HOR (boring:()
    4 miles Sunday.
    I think I'm signed up for the Great Ireland Run now after calling customer service in England after the website said I was too young (when I'm not). Still awaiting a confirmation email however...

Rowing training.
    3.3 miles warmup.
    Two 20min pieces on ergo at 16 s/m.
    1) 4630m
    2) 4647m
    Only realised about 1/2 way into piece 2 that swapping to PaceBoat does wonders. (Was about 100m behind my 1st piece at that time)

3.3 miles warmup.
    Another 2 pieces of 20 mins on erg, rate 16 s/m.
    1)4650m
    2)4644m

• Advertisement

Friday: 4 miles
    Saturday: Rowing, 3 trips of river (sweep)
    Sunday: Rowing, 4 trips of river (sweep)

Probably won't get much done this week because my mocks are on now :( (starting tomorrow)

God, I forgot all about this.

Eh, Neptune Regatta was on Saturday.
    Was in J16 boat rather than Novices, lost out to Portora.

Last training session had a 5.3k run then four 1k pieces in prep for regatta.
    1) 3:32
    2) 3:34
    3) 3:42
    4) 3:37

I'll break 3:30 some day when I could be bothered.:P
    Couldn't do Great Ireland Run because I was supposed to have Commercial Regatta today. It then got cancelled. Pity cause I drove up to Commercial, literally across the road from the park. I didn't have my GIR gear with me though, so that went out the window. By the time I'd get home and back again, the race would have been well underway.

Eh, have a sculling week in the club, should be fun.
    Should start running properly again soon. JC and whatnot distracts me.

Wondering where to find some links to road races going on in a few months or something like that, because I need to set myself a fitness target. I have the schedule of all my regattas now so I can plan around that.

Did 3.5 as per HH's Spring Training, shuffled it a bit to fit rowing seeing as I'm already doing ~2 mile runs on Tuesday and Thursday at training.

Did 2 miles as warm-up to training for Trinity Regatta on Saturday. I got the draw and The Novice 4 are against UCD B and the 8 are against Trinity B.

Advertisement