Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving abroad in 2009 - Any suggestions?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Myself and my boyfriend are thinking of moving abroad for a year or 2 in the next few months.

He is an accountant and I work I financial services, but have experience in sales and customer service as well. Neither of us speak a foreign language.

We had been thinking about maybe Dubai, but are open to pretty much anywhere that we could get jobs and make some money.

Any suggestions as to places to look into?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

Extraplus wrote: »
    Myself and my boyfriend are thinking of moving abroad for a year or 2 in the next few months.

He is an accountant and I work I financial services, but have experience in sales and customer service as well. Neither of us speak a foreign language.

We had been thinking about maybe Dubai, but are open to pretty much anywhere that we could get jobs and make some money.

Any suggestions as to places to look into?

From what I hear, Bahrain, Switzerland, Luxemburg, Norway... English is widely spoken in these countries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Now i'm not 100% about all the other Gulf countries but you require a sponsor to live and work in Bahrain.

You can buy a 3 month visitor visa at the desk on the way into the airport for 5BD (~E10) but to stay/work you'll have to find a company who will sponsor you to get a residency/work permit.

Just to keep that in mind, plenty of Financial institutions out this way alright, I know a fair few accountants and that working with the banks out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

Thanks for the info c-13. I've heard Bahrain id quite conservative compared to some of the other areas in the Gulf and it can be difficult for a woman to get a work permit. Have you any experience of this?

How long have you been out there? Do you like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Thanks for the info c-13. I've heard Bahrain id quite conservative compared to some of the other areas in the Gulf and it can be difficult for a woman to get a work permit. Have you any experience of this?

Depending on your age Canada may be a choice. Usit do 1 year visas and they seem to be relatively unaffected by the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Really i wouldn't have said Bahrain is conservative at all. Its known as being the second most liberal spot in the middle east, second to Dubai of course.

As to the womens work permit I dont think its that big a deal. My g/f is to be moving out with me shortly I hope and she will be looking for work here as well.

As long as you can find an employer who is willing to sponsor you your laughing, you get your CPR (residency card) through your sponsorship. One thing to beware of though it seems that if you get left go by your employer you lose your CPR as well.

One thing to watch though is that some places dont like unmarried couples living together - its not that common but just be aware it can happen. I asked the dude who owns where i'm renting what was the deal would be if my G/f moved in with me or was it a no-no and he just started laughing and said not to worry about it.

Saudi on the other hand you wouldn't have a hope of unmarried's living together at all.

I've been living here about 8 months now.

Its not a bad spot, I find it a bit boring at times (mainly because I don't pub/club at the weekends) - Alcohol is readily available here, lots of bars and clubs (swarming with hookers too unfortunately). All the surrounding countries pour in at the weekends to go out/party (Saudi/Kuwait).

The main claim to fame here would be the Formula one, which attracts huge crowds.

If you want to know anything else ask away or drop me a PM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement