Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

my car was stolen!

Options
  • 03-02-2009 6:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

unfortunately, on friday night/saturday morning, my little nissan sunny was robbed from the car park of the apartments where i live in donegal.

i got the call at 6.30 am to say my car had been found on fire in a field.

the car is totally gutted and i am devastated... i have owned it for 2 years and have just got it ready for nct... now i have to cancel the nct :(

anyway, the gardai got the little f**kers and they said i might be able to claim compensation off them, does anyone know what i am likely to get??

no point claiming insurance.. valued at 500, 200 excess, doesn't include personal belongings(about 700e) and i would lose 2 years no claims....

so if i don't get compensation from these sh*ts, i am left with nothing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

That's awful! Really sorry for you. It's a pity that the scum who robbed it didn't incinerate themselves in it. I'm no expert on such things, but I imagine that if the Guards prosecute, the court might require that you be paid compensation, but whether the scum would then actually pay it or not is another matter. From what I read in the papers they often simply ignore such things, and no-one goes after them to make them pay. Alternatively, I guess, you could take a court action against them yourself, but by the value of the car you state that would cost more than the value and any compensation.

This is what's wrong with this human rights obsessed society of ours. If someone steals and destroys your car the punishment should make their b****y eyes water:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

sorry to hear about that bud. At least the little scrotes got caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

unfortunately, on friday night/saturday morning, my little nissan sunny was robbed from the car park of the apartments where i live in donegal.

i got the call at 6.30 am to say my car had been found on fire in a field.

the car is totally gutted and i am devastated... i have owned it for 2 years and have just got it ready for nct... now i have to cancel the nct :(

anyway, the gardai got the little f**kers and they said i might be able to claim compensation off them, does anyone know what i am likely to get??

no point claiming insurance.. valued at 500, 200 excess, doesn't include personal belongings(about 700e) and i would lose 2 years no claims....

When judge is passing sentence he will ask how much car is worth/how much damage was caused, he will then give the lads time to come up with compensation for you, if they cant/don't or won't get the money the judge will usually make the sentence longer to account for injured party not being compensated.
    You could take a claim against them but if their under 18 its their parents you'd be claiming off, since they let their children out at all times of the night stealing and burning out cars..... i can't see them being the type of good citizens that will actually give you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I hate to be the pessimist but its not worth it. Thats wy they robbed it in the fist place cause they know the law better than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tricky-dicky87

ART6 wrote: »
    It's a pity that the scum who robbed it didn't incinerate themselves in it.

yeah... thought that myself a few times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I'm open to correction, but I think that claims for fire/theft do not affect your NCB. Worth a phone call to check it out at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

tbh id prefer to take the 700 quid out on them:mad:

garyegt wrote: »
    tbh id prefer to take the 700 quid out on them:mad:
    Of course. If nothing else, there's no harm in the insurance company having an intrest in the outcome of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sorry to hear about your car being robbed.

Hopefully the little barstewards will get a decent punishment.

I'm open to correction, but I think that claims for fire/theft do not affect your NCB. Worth a phone call to check it out at least...

yeah, i did, they said i would lose it, so bit sickening!

court is my only option.... and that won't be for another 4 or 5 months or so:mad: lets just hope they turn up

thanks for all ur comments guys, appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

yeah, i did, they said i would lose it, so bit sickening!

court is my only option.... and that won't be for another 4 or 5 months or so:mad: lets just hope they turn up

thanks for all ur comments guys, appreciate it

So I presume your with Qiunn yeah?

Bobo78 wrote: »
    So I presume your with Qiunn yeah?

yeah... take it other companies ain't the same?! just my luck

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

i had my car stolen a few months back a 00 astra had only done 15 k .

anyway little bastards broke into the house and got the keys along with other items totaling about 4k . Smashed the life out of the car(how i wish i didnt have airbags). didnt get anything back and would have lost my 4 yr NCB

Case went to court and the guy got 3months probably did about 2

I asked the Guard later about taking a civil action against the scum but was told "off record" not a chance of him paying he is a drug addict and this was his 6th time being in front of the judge

I heard before of a guy who attended the court hearing so he could be there when the guy confirmed his name and address. Cue a few weeks later he bumped into the guy 6 or 7 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

S**T like this makes my blood boil.
    The PC Brigade need to be in jail as far as being soft on crime goes.
    Interfering goody two shoes busibodies like this have the country and other countries the way they are.

"I heard before of a guy who attended the court hearing so he could be there when the guy confirmed his name and address. Cue a few weeks later he bumped into the guy 6 or 7 times".

When who confirmed their name.....victim or criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭steof1984

sorry should of being more clear

The criminal was in court charged with stealing the car. When he was called up the Judge asked him to confirm his name and where he was staying (something strange about he wasn’t living where he told guards) anyway the victim was then talking to the Guard outside after the chap was giving a suspended sentence and the guard confirmed where he was living

the chap waited a few months and then caught the fella and Errm "told him what he thought of him" if you know what I mean

Now i don’t condone vigilante justice but when the justice system fails what is a guy to do . The PC brigade have giving too many rights to the criminal and sometimes all these chaps know is a good hiding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

steof1984 wrote: »
    Now i don’t condone vigilante justice but when the justice system fails what is a guy to do . The PC brigade have giving too many rights to the criminal and sometimes all these chaps know is a good hiding

Vigilante justice is entirely wrong and would, if permitted, lead to the downfall of civilisation and the end of the bacon sandwich (or so I'm told). Instead the proper way of dealing with criminals who steal from others is to humanely bring to their attention the error of their ways. That can be achieved by dressing them in orange overalls, linking their ankles together with good quality chain, and then giving them big hammers and large lumps of rocks.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭owenmakken

They have apartment blocks in Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What country have you been living in for the last 10 years? They've been throwing up apartment blocks in the middle of nowhere for ages.

ART6 wrote: »
    Vigilante justice is entirely wrong and would, if permitted, lead to the downfall of civilisation and the end of the bacon sandwich (or so I'm told). Instead the proper way of dealing with criminals who steal from others is to humanely bring to their attention the error of their ways. That can be achieved by dressing them in orange overalls, linking their ankles together with good quality chain, and then giving them big hammers and large lumps of rocks.:D
    Sub min-wage prison jobs are the way to go IMO.
    Lock him up until he's weaved enough baskets/conducted enough telephone surveys to pay the OP, and the cost of his trial.

Advertisement