Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever tried any of the herbal remedies?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 4:54am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've seen them on various American sites, but wouldn't even know where to look to buy them here?!?! Health and Natural Food shops maybe. As far as I know they are usually a nasal spray made up of various herbs that remove certain withdrawal symptoms without using nicotine. I'd be interested in buying some for when I chance having a drink again, I could carry it with me incase I needed it. It might only be a placebo but still better than nothing surely!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

As you say, it's proberly just a placebo, but if it works for you go for it, everyone is different.

My advice for going for a drink is don't put it off to long, you'll only make a big deal of it, it's not difficult to go out for a drink and not smoke, thousands do it, and your not missing anything out in the smoking area, just the whole "it's awful cold" conversation. Go out for a drink with some friends that don't smoke, that'll make it easier. Oh yeah, don't think that you deserve a cigerette cause you've lasted a few hours in teh pub, you don't, you just don't smoke.

And as I always say, the next 15 minutes are the most important

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

well it prolly is just a placebo as the op said, personally i wouldnt look for anything, it just keeps the dependant side going, i tried everything, from the e cig to holding a pen, and in the end you just have to say..no i dont smoke, it becomes second nature not to smoke eventually, well so im told, im still at the first stages meself .so good luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks for the replies! My downfall has always been when I've had a drink on previous occasions :rolleyes: Maybe I have made enough changes in my habits to manage it this time! Perhaps I'll have a go at the weekend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I am 4 days off now and went to the pub last night.
    Had 5 pints and didn't smoke.

I was determined. This pub lark is always my downfall.
    Took half a biro tube with me, stuffed it with tissue to make it look like a smoke and sucked it as a placebo.
    Pretended to myself I was smoking.
    Took long drags of a dummy. ha ha.
    (actually enjoyed it too up to a point)
    I looked stupid but it worked fine.
    In any case, I wanted to overcome this little bogey by any means possible.

same biro is chewed to bits this morning :)
    Must get another one for Friday !

feel great today not having smoked while drinking.
    that little fear is now in the bin with the last pack of fags.

To each their own. I know the nicotine is clear now but the mental association still has a few obstacles to overcome.
    One day at a time.

forgot to mention, I enjoyed the few pints too.
    another myth laid to rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bridge

hard part is if u keep goin to pub every week

• Advertisement
Advertisement