Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

law books

Options
  • 02-02-2009 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT READ THIS, HOLY GRAIL INFORMATION.

this is some seminal impartial advice for the prospetive law students as to which law books are the best to get, (and also to the law students who havent gotten the book or are unsatified with it.)

1) constitutional law- get the kelly book, best in ireland. i have the casey one... and the truth is in my humble and respectful opinion that casey's one is nowhere near as good, as leaves out some important information.

2) tort law- some good treatises on this subject, the best ones are by a) McMahon and Binchy, and b) Eoin Quill. never get any other book, seriously, even if the professor tells u to get so and so, u have to get quill or mcmahon and binchy. (i have both) maybe quill's slightly as the upper hand on M & B because some important recent cases are in it, (Glencar plc v Dickman etc) (its newer than M & B ,9 YEARS since the last edition)

3) criminal law- without a shadow of a doubt, the best for the beginner undergraduate student is conor hanley's law book (40euro). he teaches in NUIG. i have this book and mcauley&mccutheon's book. the latter is very good, but overwhelmin for a beginner, some really important cases are omitted bcos of outdatedness, like R v G which practically rendered a full chapiter on strict liability non-applicable anymore in their book. (but great book, for someone who wants to get a deeper understandin of criminal law, beyond the requirement for the entrance exams).

if anybody wants to know more about this topic of which other books are the best to get, then i look forward to any enquiries.

also id really like to hear other people's opinions on the topic.
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement