Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Koreans to Have 1Gbps Broadband by 2012

Options
  • 02-02-2009 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

http://techfragments.com/news/359/Tech/All_Koreans_to_Have_1Gbps_Broadband_by_2012.html

All Koreans to Have 1Gbps Broadband by 2012
    Author: Michael Horton

In America we think Charter's 60 Mbps Cable is fast, well in Korea the entire country will have 1 Gbps service by 2012, that's 16 times faster than Charter's fastest 60Mbps highspeed service. Currently, Koreans can get speeds up to 100 Mbps, which is still nearly double the speed of Charter's new 60 Mbps service.

The new plan by the Korea Communications Commission (KCC) will cost 34.1 trillion ($24.6 billion USD) over the next five years. The central government will put up 1.3 trillion won, with the remainder coming from private telecom operators. The project is also expected to create more than 120,000 jobs - a win for the Korean economy.

This plan will bring innovation to the public's digital lives" a spokesperson for KCC said in a press release. When will the U.S. Government ever devise such a plan for Americans? For now, most of us are stuck with 3-10Mbps service for those of us who are able to get it. For the rest, many are still stuck on dialup and some are happy to stay with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bealtine wrote: »

Some countries aspire to better things, we aspire to less than mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only the SOUTH Koreans :)

The Northern ones have only just ordered their 1st Mobile Phone network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I GENUINELY get so annoyed when I read items like this...

Rolling out a PTP lambda project over fibre is a massive construction project along with an ICT one - it is also one that would involve collaboration with R&D facilities and create massive employment for years to come - the residual benefit alone is immense and it's almost immune to becoming obsolete for many tens years to come, if not more.

It could create low, medium and high skill jobs, would bring Ireland to the top of global tables, create an open competitive market.

And the really really really sad part of it all is that the beginning of the core infrastructure is there as is the bones of a distribution network - it's all about the access level and even that is not difficult to solve, just "expensive".

If we want to be a knowledge economy we have to get off our rear ends and bite the bullet...

Rex was right to run away....wonder what the weather is like in Oz? :)

end rant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

crawler wrote: »
    If we want to be a knowledge economy we have to get off our rear ends and bite the bullet...

Fás gangs will soon fan out across the land with their picks and shovels and consaws :cool:

crawler wrote: »
    I GENUINELY get so annoyed when I read items like this...

[snip]
    It could create low, medium and high skill jobs, would bring Ireland to the top of global tables, create an open competitive market.

[snip]

I too get pretty annoyed when i see countries with the vision to see their future and to invest in that future. Key enabling technologies like these are so important for, as you say jobs, but also for commerce, loosing our dependence on commuting, delivery of services and so on. A bit like the cliche "if you build it they will come", however if you don't build it then sure as hell nobody will show up.
    It's not like we as a country have not had the imagination to take on difficult tasks, we've done it in the past. Ministers with vision have pushed through schemes that have benefited the country enormously.

When a government gets into a symbiotic relationship with only one sector of the economy (developers) and utterly ignores all the other sectors and then when they resort to the Mac the Knife reaction you know they are short on ideas and that their knee jerk reaction is only going to push us deeper and deeper into the hole we have dug for ourselves. Reverting to type I suppose.

Now is the time, to examine all the whacky schemes of the last few years and to do cost benefit analysis on them. If they won't deliver then scrap them. Promises that can't be deliver are the worst kind of planning. I specifically refer to the NBS here.

Rolling out fibre to within 2km of every dwelling, as has clearly been demonstrated in other countries, is the way to go.
    Not only do we need "to get off our rear ends" we need some ministers with vision who are willing to spend their money wisely and the vision to see that the money is well spent and delivers what is required for our future.

As I've said many times complacency is not an option, action and cooperation are what are required.
    I also believe this is a crisis of confidence and of a crisis of seeing what is required to be done.
    As an economy fibre is not a luxury but a necessity.

• Advertisement

Korea unveils plan to improve internet infrastructure Monday 2 February 2009

The Korean Communications Commission(KCC) has come up with a plan to improve the nation's overall IT infrastructure and increase the speed of internet and wireless broadband services by the end of 2012, the JoongAng Daily website reported. The plan is expected to cost KRW 34.1 trillion over the next five years, with the government contributing KRW 1.3 trillion, and the remainder coming from private telecom operators. The project is expected to create 120,000 jobs. With the plan, high-speed internet and wireless broadband services will be upgraded to 1 Gbps broadband and 10 Mbps, a tenfold increase compared to current services. Existing communications networks will also be enhanced to IP-based systems. The KCC said the changes will make high-definition TV images up to 16 times clearer, and interactive TV services such as e-commerce and home schooling possible. The service will also make it possible to watch I-Max films on home televisisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

Don't be silly folks - this is all a con - didn't Eamon himself go over to Korea and check it out for us:

http://www.mulley.net/2008/10/30/eamon-ryan-and-his-skype-story-everything-is-fine/

It's all a hoax and they're actually all on dial-up.

Seriously though - we spend EUR233 million and by 2012 most of the country will have speeds 1/1000th or at best 1/200th that of Korea!

"Smart Economy" indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Maybe IOFFL should prepare a blueprint showing an economic model for Ireland Inc in such an investment? Should be backed up with facts and figures.

Venting is all well and good (I do it myself) but there genuinely is a need and model for this - it also needs to be done by a neutral party with no vested interest per se.

Just a thought?

Advertisement