Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Masters Of The Universe To Be Made. That's He-man, people.

Options
  • 02-02-2009 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver have set "Kung Fu Panda" co-director John Stevenson to make his live-action directing debut on "Masters of the Universe," a reimagining of the signature Mattel toy line.
    Pic will revolve around He-Man, a prince who transforms into a warrior and becomes the last hope for a magical land being ravaged by the evil Skeletor.
    Silver is producing through his Silver Pictures banner. Mattel's Barry Waldo will be exec producer.
    WB acquired the property in 2007, and Justin Marks wrote the first draft of the script based on a story he developed with Neil Ellice.
    The Mattel property was adapted into the 1980s cartoon series "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe."
    The property was previously turned into a campy flop by Cannon Films in 1987, with Dolph Lungdren as He-Man and "Frost/Nixon" star Frank Langella as the villainous Skeletor.
    The film project is a big priority for Mattel, which licenses a high-end line of He-Man toys that are popular with hardcore collectors.
    Hollywood has become a magnet for branded toy-line properties, as DreamWorks and Paramount ready a June 26 release for "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" and Paramount preps for an Aug. 7 release on "G.I. Joe." Both began as toy lines that became hit animated series.
    Waldo said Stevenson's vision to elevate the material matched with Mattel's desire to see He-Man become a big studio film. Mattel has also brought its "Hot Wheels" film to WB and Silver.
    "John had such passion that we found ourselves running to catch up with his vision," Waldo said.
    Stevenson has also worked on "Shrek" and "Shrek 2," "Madagascar" and "James and the Giant Peach." He began his career working for Jim Henson on projects that included "The Dark Crystal" and "Labyrinth."

Personally, I think it could easily go either way (though if I'm truthful, I'd say it'll be craptacular). What was wrong with trusty old Dolph Lungren. And Courtney Cox was in it. and that weird wizard chap. Or maybe it was a female wizard... erm... a witch.

No more reboots! For a start, none of the childer will know who the hell He-Man is. It'll be another giant toy commercial. Maybe they'll go the 'dark' route which is so popular nowadays. He-Man begins. Pooh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

still, even given misgivings, sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

still, even given misgivings, sweet!
    Precisely.

Also, the fact that Stevenson has worked on Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal, which are a couple of films I love is interesting. Be interesting to see his transition from animation to live action, but.

Lets hope it's as enteraining as the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Was there ever a region 2 release of the original?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

i loved that he man movie

• Advertisement

Makaveli wrote: »
    Was there ever a region 2 release of the original?

I'm fairly sure that my DVD is a R2 version. I'll dig it out later on and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Seems to be fairly pricey on amazon and play as it's being sold through traders. I've just ordered the R1 off Amazon.com for €13.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I thought this was going to be about Aidan Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The original was great in a seriously craptacular way. Gonna be hard to win the fans over

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I LOVED the original. Although I was a kid when it came out. Its a complete star wars rip off but its got that cheesy 80s movie charm in spades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,868 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Galvasean wrote: »
    The original was great in a seriously craptacular way. Gonna be hard to win the fans over
    I predict its a far better movie than the original.:D

Wouldn't be hard tbf.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093507/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think this would be a great opportunity to create "original" masters of the universe vision for the screen. I'm not talking about the He-Man and the MOTU cartoon era but instead the original mini-comic story of 2 years previous about a mysterious barbarian (no royal liniage here) who wanders across a planet that has been ravaged by an atomic war. A planet that appears medievel yet is littered with advance technology and fantastical creatures. Kind of like Conan the Barbarian meets Mad Max if you will with dollops of sorcery on top for good measure.

It'll never happen of course . :(

http://www.he-man.org/primary_sects/comics/html/mini_comics/motu/comic_pages/00000001/00cover.shtml

I'm fairly sure that my DVD is a R2 version. I'll dig it out later on and let you know.

I bought the DVD of this recently on Ebay in Region 2. As I understand it it's a deleted title atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

The original was fun - I would have been about 7 or 8 when I saw it first. Liked the sci-fi twist they put on it to make the magic elements seem a bit more 'realistic'.

I still remember the bit where they discover 'fried chicken' for the first time on Earth - I remember thinking "How advanced could their planet be if they never thought of eating meat or, even, cooking using oil?"

I dunno, I was never really happy with the way Evil-Lyn got so little screen time. She seemed like the smartest of the characters and seemed to have a few nice one liners... then again, I usually rooted for the villians in 1980s movies.

(Come on... am I the only one who sometimes rooted for the Nazis in the Indiana Jones movies? "No, don't just seal him in the snake pit... shoot him! SHOOT HIM!")

Tusky wrote: »
    I LOVED the original. Although I was a kid when it came out. Its a complete star wars rip off but its got that cheesy 80s movie charm in spades.

And then the Phantom Menace ripped off MOTU
    when He-manObi Wan slices SkeletorDarth Maul in half and he falls down a big hole
    Pigman II wrote: »
    I think this would be a great opportunity to create "original" masters of the universe vision for the screen. I'm not talking about the He-Man and the MOTU cartoon era but instead the original mini-comic story of 2 years previous about a mysterious barbarian (no royal liniage here) who wanders across a planet that has been ravaged by an atomic war. A planet that appears medievel yet is littered with advance technology and fantastical creatures. Kind of like Conan the Barbarian meets Mad Max if you will with dollops of sorcery on top for good measure.

It'll never happen of course . :(

http://www.he-man.org/primary_sects/comics/html/mini_comics/motu/comic_pages/00000001/00cover.shtml

Sounds good. Too good to get made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

who plays who though i can't imagine

who plays who though i can't imagine

Dolp Lundgren to come back as He-man and Kiera Knightly to play Skeletor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

Whoever plays He-Man is very important. I could see Brad Pitt in the role,

chalad07 wrote: »
    Whoever plays He-Man is very important. I could see Brad Pitt in the role,

I think Kevin McKidd would be a fantastic He-Man. For Skelator I would like to see someone like Michael C Hall.

I thought this was going to be about Aidan Walsh.

I know he considers himself to be Master of the Universe but I think he probably bares more resemblance to Gwildor

2426044887_e96da9c3ac.jpg?v=0

gwildor2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tferg20

Either way methinks. .
    They really really really should not go down the dark route. It would not work, no matter how they re-invent him he-man is still gonna be kitschy. He's still gonna be a weedy type of guy who turns into a big brown muscle-bound type of guy.
    It's gonna be a kids movie but as long as they don't have the rock as he-man or balls it up in any way like that, there is potential. .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

They're meant to be makin it like the 300, same visual style aswel

I wonder if there will actually be any transformation scenes, as there were none in the original

either way, I shall be seein it, and it shall be amazo

just cos its He-man

Yay:
    Cool transformations
    Battlecat!!
    Possible she-ra cameo :P

Nay:
    Words of advice for youngins' :P

"Alexia* used a magic potion today to make everything the way she wanted. But magic potions dont solve problems, so stay away from alcohol"

*random name

unreggd wrote: »

Nay:
    Words of advice for youngins' :P

I dunno, check out this gem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Ah yeah, forgot about that one! :D

If She-Ra wanted to touch me in my special place I probably wouldn't be in any hurry to run away and tell someone I trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Galvasean wrote: »
    Dolp Lundgren to come back as He-man and Kiera Knightly to play Skeletor?

Put Dirk Kuyt in there in place of Dolph Lundgren and I'm sold.:pac::pac::pac:

Seriously though, it won't be hard to beat the original. That's not to say I'm insulting Frank Langella of course, who was the only good thing about that film. He did an awesome job of delivering some of his speeches.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Put Dirk Kuyt in there in place of Dolph Lundgren and I'm sold.:pac::pac::pac:
    Kuyt has already played a superhero so there could be conflict of interests.

liverpool_fancy_dirk_kuyt.jpg
    Seriously though, it won't be hard to beat the original. That's not to say I'm insulting Frank Langella of course, who was the only good thing about that film. He did an awesome job of delivering some of his speeches.

Could we not all just agree that the original is an awful awful movie? (and that's coming from someone who's seen the movie several times, bought the dvd etc). This remake has the potential to be something great .... so long as I'm allowed direct it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Kuyt has already played a superhero so there could be conflict of interests.

liverpool_fancy_dirk_kuyt.jpg

Liverpool's resident Flying Dutchman.:pac: Terrible, I know.

Could we not all just agree that the original is an awful awful movie? (and that's coming from someone who's seen the movie several times, bought the dvd etc). This remake has the potential to be something great .... so long as I'm allowed direct it.

Nope, Frank Langella makes it an enjoyable (albeit brainless) romp in my eyes.:D

I fear this remake will either suffer from being a two hour merchandise advertisement or because an attempt will be made to "ground it in reality". Like Superman and The Crow, hearing the words realism would make me gawp in bemusement.

If She-Ra wanted to touch me in my special place I probably wouldn't be in any hurry to run away and tell someone I trust.

Speak for yourself. I'd tell everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement