Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No DPC Cavity Trays

Options
  • 02-02-2009 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi,
    I have come across a problem regarding a timber frame house. The house is two storeys with rendered finish on outside. at the rear of the house is a single storey sunroom. Recently with the heavy wind-driven rain water has leaked into the house. It has leaked into the 5m opening arch that links the sunroom to the main house. Subsequently I had the builder remove the plaster from the soffit of the opening. I was surprised to see two things wrong 1)there was no DPC cavity tray underneath the window sill of the upstairs bedroom, hence the leak. 2)there was no stepped DPC cavity tray at flashing level where the sunroom abutts the main dwelling. The upstairs window is the source of the leak (rain is being blown into the gap between the window frame and granite sill).
    My enquiry is, how do you repair this problem (aside from sealing around the windows)? The house leaks water but legally has the builder done a shoddy job? (the guy is a cowboy, developer-cum-builder on his first job)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

Bang on Kad, Your builder is a cowboy. Regarding your leaking upstairs window, there is no quickfix. Windowcill must come out and DPC put in place before resiting. Have you checked all your other windowcills? My hunch is that the same "builder"?? would have done them all. There should also have been a horizontal DPC tray built in at sun roof level. Hope this is of some help to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 KadMunky

No quickfix is what I was afraid of. He didn't line any of the cills in the house and the horizontal DPC membrane you mentioned is not in place. I am anxious to get all my facts correct before I bollock him off. Also I am concerned about the client. If cills come out-the occupant will have to move out for a few days. Also its decorated, hence redoing and cost of....
    I am considering calling homebond and letting them pull him up to task-but I'm afraid if it would be a long and drawn out process.
    Thanks for the advice. Its greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

Kad, This work should be done from exterior, no need for the occupant to leave. I would suggest you check if vertical DPC was used at door/window openings. Also there should be horizontal DPC's used at all lintol heights.

Agreed, the work should be done from exterior, however I'm afraid that the windows will have to be removed (even if only for a day) in order to get to the cill. Also the question as how to fix the stepped DPC cavity tray at Sunroom roof level (where it abuts main dwelling) is a big issue with me. Perhaps if the window sill is repaired the stepped cavity tray might not be necessary. Thanks very much for your advice.Also the vertical dpc and horizontal dpc are present (praise the lord!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I think a cavity tray company supply a reto-fit stepped cavity tray. Outer leaf would be removed in sections and the tray is pushed up against and sealed to the inner leaf, from the cavity.

I'll PM if I can find a reference.

• Advertisement

Thats brilliant thanks a million for that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭PJMCKE

Kadmonkey,

Did you get a suitable cavity tray for our outer leaf block ot the innerleaf timberframe. I am looking for such a product for 4"block outerleaf and am wondering if you had any luck. PM if you can
    |Regards,
    pjmcke
    KadMunky wrote: »
    Thats brilliant thanks a million for that.:)

Advertisement