Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

left handed playing the violin

Options
  • 02-02-2009 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

My 8 yr old is starting fiddle lessons at school. Shes left handed does that make any differrence.

She did the tin whistle for past two year and used her left hand to cover BAG and right hand to cover FED

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

One of my best friends is a great fiddle player and she is left handed. She plays left handed fiddle though. ie, the strings are in the opposite order, she puts the chin rest on the opposite side, etc. I know plenty of left handed people who play fiddle the "normal" way though and don't have any trouble with it. Maybe chat to the teacher about it? But it shouldn't make a difference. It's just that one way of playing might be more comfortable/natural for your child.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am left handed and play the violin normally but I also use my right hand for the top 3 notes on the tin whistle or flute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Shadowdancer

If you reverse the strings it is very important to replace the soundpost so that it is under the E string.
    Apart from that there is no problem with playing lefthanded although other fiddle players, righthanded ones, might have to duck and dive around a bit in the session in order to preserve their eyesight.

The great Mary Bergin plays whistle right hand over left and it does not seem to cause her any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Newgirl

thanks very much

I appreciate the replies

Advertisement