Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 20Mb+ possible in Shankill?

Options
  • 02-02-2009 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

Anyone??

Im feckin gutted with UPC/my address today as I had my heart set on ordering 20mb (living in Shankill), and have been told BB isn't available at all(!), and that they should be upgrading my estate "in the second half of the year"... Fantastic frown.gif

Shankill exchange is pi$$ poor and barely capable of 7.6mb as it is, so my desperate ringing around to other providers should probably cease as they'll all be workin off the same line. Magnet did tell me I could get "a contended 12 meg" connection for 150+VAT a month (cough).

I'd like 100% confirmation on this - Anyone at all on higher speed in (South, near Main street) Shankill area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

I'm in Sandycove and for the last 4 years I have been waiting for upc to upgrade here where Dun Laoghaire has had upc BB for the same lenght of time.
    I wouldn't hold your breath,
    I am with eircom and very happy with their service not the price though
    and the wife won't go over to BT because their english.

150 is disgraceful from magnet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have heard that they have 20 meg in Castle Farm and Olcavar (just beyond main street), but not where I live (Crinken Glen). Where are you living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I have heard that they have 20 meg in Castle Farm and Olcavar (just beyond main street), but not where I live (Crinken Glen). Where are you living?

I wonder who that is with. Any way of finding out? I am living literally next door to Olcovar in an older estate. If they do have 20meg it is however most likely due to whatever they laid when they were building it, as it's only a couple of years old.

It is with NTL (UPC). Are you in Crinken Glen or Cherrington Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

In Crinken Glen with an 8 meg eircom connection. Never see anything near that speed though, sometimes I even feel like I'm on dialup. And it seems to just cut out a lot. I'm really hating eircom right now. ~_~ Uploads aren't too bad though.

• Advertisement

It is with NTL (UPC). Are you in Crinken Glen or Cherrington Rd?

The latter... "Being upgraded" for UPC in second half of 2k9 according to the sales operator. Im on BT 7.6Mb and I think I'm right in assuming that that's (or thereabouts) the best we can get??

consultech wrote: »
    The latter... "Being upgraded" for UPC in second half of 2k9 according to the sales operator. Im on BT 7.6Mb and I think I'm right in assuming that that's (or thereabouts) the best we can get??
    That's more positive news anyway. I'll gladly wait another 8-10 months and have an alternative. Last time I spoke to NTL they had no plans in my estate.

Rebel021 wrote: »
    the wife won't go over to BT because their english.

Wow, that policy's gotta get in the way of sensible consumer shopping.

Were the trousers she's wearing made in Ireland so?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 39 n3lly

In Crinken Glen with an 8 meg eircom connection. Never see anything near that speed though, sometimes I even feel like I'm on dialup. And it seems to just cut out a lot. I'm really hating eircom right now. ~_~ Uploads aren't too bad though.

I feel your pain, I recently upgraded to eircom's 7.6mb account and it's been a disaster ever since. Probably just coincidence but still the service has been absolutely piss poor for the last few months. I live out in Killiney and am connected to the shankill exchange.

Between midnight and about 6am my speeds will hit around 700-740k which is what the service should be giving me so I know i'm capable of it.

During the day however it all grinds down to a halt, i barely get 60k which means if i have to receive an attachment from an email I can't use the internet or any other service i rely upon such as skype.

I've rang up their technical support line and have been told that it's basically due to the cotention ratio. It's that lovely card they're always able to pull out of their backsides.

I'm tired of the speeds i'm getting during the day, i've never had this problem before they started offering 7.6mb broadband. What I'll probably do is call them up in the next week and downgrade, at least that way they wont be getting more money. I've read on here that people out near the port laois exchange were experiencing problems but that this has been resolved recently. Just wish the same thing would happen in shankill.

Typical Irish service I suppose. We're far enough behind the rest of europe as it is.

/rant...

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Wow, that policy's gotta get in the way of sensible consumer shopping.

Were the trousers she's wearing made in Ireland so?

:p

Well she pays the bill so the trousers are hers LOL:D

• Advertisement

There's some UPC/NTL works being carried out at the entrance to Crinken Glen. Maybe, just maybe.... ;)

The Ntfail boys were round my house last week laying down firbre optic cable. Said it would be another few months before they would have BB in the area though.. (shankill exchange)

hmmmm interesting. Might give C U Pee a ring and see what the craic is. I haven't spotted anything myself (top of Quinn's Rd, although I haven't left the house all that much :pac:)

hmmmm interesting. Might give C U Pee a ring and see what the craic is. I haven't spotted anything myself (top of Quinn's Rd, although I haven't left the house all that much :pac:)

I'm out on military road, mind you they were in my back garden (we feed the rest of the cul de sac (9 houses) so they had to start at our house. Still have to wait for the cablers to come round etc so it will probably be another few months. If you ring them now that's probably what they'll say to you. I wouldn't bother calling to be honest. But by all means go for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PIKOMAN

Im in Ballybrack, on the shankill exchange and the connection speed is absolutely atrocious. could get no connection for longer than 5 mins all day sunday and monday.

Anyone else having very slow speeds from Shankill exchange?

PIKOMAN wrote: »
    Im in Ballybrack, on the shankill exchange and the connection speed is absolutely atrocious. could get no connection for longer than 5 mins all day sunday and monday.

ANyone else having very slow speeds from Shankill exchange?

I'm bouncing off 600k at the moment (7mb line, eircom). You sure it's got nothing to do with those road works that have been going on for an unbefu**inglievably long time?

I've been meaning to call UPC recently and see whether or not their service is available to us as we're connected to the shankill exchange. Might give them a bell tomorrow.

EDIT: Sorry Pikoman, what connection are you on?

Maybe,,,,

i did call UPC today, they say 3-4 weeks before their cables are live, just got new (UPC) ones put up on the house last week, even looked like fibre cables too. may actually get fast broadband...

GOODBYE Eircom.... Their service has been absolutely awful ....

hmmm interesting. I might give them a call as well to show that the area has interest in their service.

I was just wondering what connection you're on at the moment because you're getting roughly 630k down and 300 up on that connection which is pretty much spot on for the eircom 7 mb account. Well below par but not by much.

:)

n3lly wrote: »
    hmmm interesting. I might give them a call as well to show that the area has interest in their service.

I was just wondering what connection you're on at the moment because you're getting roughly 630k down and 300 up on that connection which is pretty much spot on for the eircom 7 mb account. Well below par but not by much.

:)

3Mb

Right well i was well off the mark there. Thought it was calculating it differently.

Here are my results for the hell of it.

618669956.png

:) i'll update this thread if i hear any info from UPC

• Advertisement
Advertisement