Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stairs

Options
  • 01-02-2009 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

i'm in the middle of building a house atm and i am looking for some advice...

the mrs wants the stairs, doors and door frames all to match. however she does not like knotty wood such as pine and red deal.

i have priced oak, engineered oak and ash. all a lot more expensive than the above...

any suggestions for any other type of wood which might fit the bill?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

My father has Walnut doors in his place, but might be a tad on the expensive side. They look great though.

Hardwoods

Birch originally looks white or creamy yellow with a bit of red, but can be painted to fit other furniture pieces. It's used for cupboards and interior doors.

Cherry is a very popular hardwood for furniture making. It has a light reddish brown colour, which develops into a rich colour with age. Cherry is softer than other hardwood types.

Mahogany is a strong and relatively hard wood used in furniture making, as well as in decorative objects and ship building. Its natural colour is light pink to reddish brown.

Poplar has a closed grain and is yellow or white, occasionally with a bit of green or dark streak. It is used for the interiors of cabinets, drawers and chests.

Maple is a very hard and close-grained wood, looking white or amber in its original state. Its interesting grain patterns make it very appropriate for decorative use.

Rosewood has a very distinctive look. Its original colour is reddish brown with a dark or ebony grain. Rosewood is very hard and dense and can be given a high lustre finish.

Oak is used on a large scale in furniture making. It is hard and sometimes difficult to work with. White oak has a gray-brown colour, while red oak is brown with a reddish tinge. English oak has a deeper brown colour.

Walnut is also highly used in furniture making. American black walnut is more common, while European walnut is rather scarce and also more expensive. It has some interesting grains, either straight or swirl and it is gray to brown coloured, occasionally with purple streaks.

Softwoods

Pine can have either a white cream to tan or a yellow with brown grains colour. There's also a pine species with a lot of knots. Pine sometimes develops towards a blotchy look.

Cedar is a close-grained pink to brown softwood, used for both interior and exterior work, due to its high resistance. It also has a strong odour that keeps insects away and this is why it's often used to line closets used for garments storage.

Redwood is also resistant and used for exterior woodwork. Its original colour is red and is sometimes used for outside furniture.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,045 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

iroko...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sydthebeat wrote: »
    iroko...
    That was hard!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

corban wrote: »
    i'm in the middle of building a house atm and i am looking for some advice...

the mrs wants the stairs, doors and door frames all to match. however she does not like knotty wood such as pine and red deal.

i have priced oak, engineered oak and ash. all a lot more expensive than the above...

any suggestions for any other type of wood which might fit the bill?

For me, I like ash especially for stairs......
    But to answer your questions...... Alot of the hardwood are all pretty much the same price or near enough anyway Ash is slightly cheaper than oak (in plank form) but the difference is minimal by the end of the job. Veneered oak doors now aren't such a bad price but you will pay for the frames and more so if you want oak skirting & architrave The company we get solid oak skirting off charges about €3 a foot You can get a veneered mdf skirting but its harder to joint properly so really if you want a hardwood it will cost.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I have to say that i love oak.

We just got all our doors (22), skirting (for a 3000+ sq ft house) and architrave for the 22 doors for just over 5k and our stairs are gonna cost us €5k. But i wouldnt have it any other way - i love the white oak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

dlambirl wrote: »

We just got all our doors (22), skirting (for a 3000+ sq ft house) and architrave for the 22 doors for just over 5k and our stairs are gonna cost us €5k. But i wouldnt have it any other way - i love the white oak.

Wanted to get my floors done in White Oak, i think it looks great. Shame bout the price though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

thank you very much everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 nvjcjc

dlambirl wrote: »

Hi, we are currently looking for doors, skirting and architrave. We had already paid for them but then timber frame co went into liquidation so now we have to find them elsewhere. Where did you get all the above for 5k? We are in Kilkenny.

Thanks

Advertisement