Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find where my friend is buried?

Options
  • 01-02-2009 9:00pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mods - unsure where to put this, please move as appropriate. Hi, my best friend died in 1980, however I was not allowed to go to the funeral as it was felt by my parents that I was too young - it still bugs me to this day though as the last memory I have of my friend is of her coffin being lifted from the church (she died in a hotel fire which was big news at the time). I would be incredibly grateful if someone could point me in the direction of where she was buried. I know that she lived in Naas when she died but she and her parents and brother (who also died) were not originally from there and might have been from Wexford or Waterford? I think that her funeral might have been in Naas though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Hi CathyMoran - here is a site that lists some cemetery transcriptions:

http://www.interment.net/ireland/index.htm.

If you get no joy pls feel free to pm me and I will try to help. I lost two good friends (separately) during the late '80s..Closure is a very important thing. Best wishes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thanks a million for that link - will look into that but may pm you too if that is OK. I never want to forget her but seeing where she is buried would really help - I have never forgotten her anniversarry since I found out her date of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

If you have her date of death your should ring the office of the cemetery nearest the church in which the funeral was held. They can search for the person if you have the date of death, or approximate date. If they have no record of your friend, then you may have to ring up other cemeteries and ask again. Plus, some cemeteries can be extremely helpful, whereas you can't expect much from others.

How about you put a question in the Kildare form asking about local cemeteries... I'd imagine that the listings in the newspaper at the time would have listed where the mass and burial where to be held, but it would be a great search to find that. They do have copies in the National Library of old newspapers...

I wouldn't recommend interment.net because their records of memorials are not at all complete.

Best of luck with the search.

Edit: Cemeteries listed for Kildare on interment are: Bodenstown Churchyard Cemetery, Clane Abbey Cemetery, Eadestown Cemetery, Kilshanroe Cemetery, Ladychapel Cemetery, Old Kilcullen Graveyard, Saint Mary Cemetery

Thanks a million for that information. I know her date of death to within 2 days (I looked her up in the microfiche archives in college when I was there). I didnt think at the time for looking for the death records but would be willing to do that. I will put a note in the Kildare forum asking for the graveyards around Naas, though I have a feeling that she was probably buried in Waterford or Wexford as that is where her parents were originally from (though they lived in Naas when they died).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The death notice from the paper would say which cemetery the funeral was going to.

If you're in Dublin, the Gilbert Library, upstairs in Pearse Street library has a large collection of old newspapers. Some of the online newspapers have searchable archives, though usually at a fee.

• Advertisement

Its going back to August 1980. I am willing to try anything at this stage as next year will be the 30th anniversary of her death. Thanks for your advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Actually if you drop them an email in the Gilbert, giving exact details of the name and date of death and explaining why you are looking, they may even do a quick look up for you in there and save you having to go in.
    Contact details here.
    Librarians are usually very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I wouldn't worry about getting a death cert as knowing the date within 2 days would be fine (though I was just telling someone else about getting death certs if you were interested http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055476587 ). There is no mention of where the body is buried on the cert.

Just give any cemetery that pops into your head as likely a call and they will check the name for the date. It being so recent should mean they are more likely to find it easier. The check should only take a minute and there should be no charge or anything. The cemetery would have it under the date of interment, and with that record there will be a date of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Is this any help? Link

Yep, that was her and her family :( The reason for me wanting to check the other places is that I imagine that her family would have wanted them to be buried near by, but I will be trying Naas first. I didnt realise that her parents were so young. Thanks again to everyone - will be following all the leads.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I found out where she is buried...after all that, it was just a simple phone call. It was such a high profile case that they all knew about it.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

That is good news that you found her, bless them. Best wishes to you.

Advertisement