Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up feels different than I imagined.

Options
  • 01-02-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

30 per day Marlboro Lights, went cold turkey last thursday night, so Day 3 at this stage.

It's not that its difficult, or physically unpleasant (so far at least). It's really hard to describe the constant urge to have a smoke since I stopped.

Its kind of like you're incredibly thirsty and you're being teased by only being allowed tiny sips from an ice cold drink, instead of being able to gulp it down as fast as you like. I wouldn't call it a craving, but its always there at the front of my mind how satifying and enjoyable a cigarette would be right now.

In general it's easier to resist the urge than I thought it would be, I imagine I would be sweating and pacing and debating if I should go to the garage at 3am. Then I get caught up in TV or the PC for an hour and completely forget.

What I'm finding difficult is that the urge to smoke is constant, barring 30 mins here and there when I'm focussed on something else. The fact that it will take weeks for this to fade is a bit daunting.

Still though, I don't think I will crack quite yet, I've had a really nice cup of coffee and resisted. And a really nice meal and not broken.
    Biggest test will obviously be the pub, so I might avoid that for the next week or so.

Main reason I stopped was that it was going to cost me four and a half thousand euro in 2009 to keep smoking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Fair play to you for going cold turkey I just could'nt do it. I'm using champix, (there's a thread going on it) it is a wonder drug that takes away the awful cravings. the scientists say You are nicotene free after 3 full days off smokes so if you make it through day 3 your habit is no longer physical it's psychological. The first 3 days on champix were probably harder than my now day 14, funny, I still get cravings too but as you said, I thought the worst would be in the pub but that's not the worst for me, I can sit with anyone who smokes no bother, it's when I have a drink that I feel really in need of a smoke, I felt it last night I was dying for that "satisfaction" you get from sitting back with a smoke. But still hung on thank God. Best of luck to you I hope you get there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Fair play, everyone is different, but the first few days are actually the easiest, just remember that the next 15 minutes is the most important and everything is going to taste brilliant in a couple of weeks

Advertisement