Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to apply for lecturing positions in IT colleges or enterprise boards?

Options
  • 01-02-2009 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there i have over 20 years experience in both sales and marketing management positions and I have just recently completed a MSc in Management in Trinity as a part time student, tough going ! I have the academic bug and would love to lecture in a college similar to the IT colleges as I think that I would be qualified. I have previous lecturing experience.
    How do I start? Do you just send CV's out to all colleges (I am Dublin Based)
    Is there a way to identify positions or courses other than just jobs websites.
    The enterprise boards have many courses in business as well and no HR sites for applications.
    I would like some idea of where to start or am I wasting my time, closed shop and all that!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

cityfann wrote: »
    Hi there i have over 20 years experience in both sales and marketing management positions and I have just recently completed a MSc in Management in Trinity as a part time student, tough going ! I have the academic bug and would love to lecture in a college similar to the IT colleges as I think that I would be qualified. I have previous lecturing experience.
    How do I start? Do you just send CV's out to all colleges (I am Dublin Based)
    Is there a way to identify positions or courses other than just jobs websites.
    The enterprise boards have many courses in business as well and no HR sites for applications.
    I would like some idea of where to start or am I wasting my time, closed shop and all that!

It can be a bit prohibitive if you're not already tied into a department.... Contact your old busniess department and ask them to keep you on the mailing list, ours regularly send around position adverts.

You will need an academic referee also, connect with your supervisor and let them know you are looking. I havent seen many IT positions advertised for some time now, and I cant advise you on enterprise boards... Do you have a professional academic association - Like PSI or the SAI for sociology?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

Full-time posts in the ITs are generally advertised on the individual IT website, and often on http://www.heanet.ie/community and in the Friday job supplement of the Irish Times. There's not much there now, mind, as it's the middle of the year, but there are usually more ads around May/June and in the run-up to the new college year in September.

The other thing to try for the ITs is to get on their panel of part-time lecturers for 09/10. For most, it's a case of sending in a CV and covering letter explaining your interest, but they are increasingly putting out a call for people to apply by filling in an application form (I think both IADT and DIT did this year).

That said, there's not much work going in the area at the moment, due to cutbacks in Government funding, but you never know where you might get lucky, so it's worth a try if you're into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cityfann

Many thanks for your replies, i will keep you posted.

Advertisement