Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theory of Time Travel :Theory of American Professor J Richard Gott of Princeton

Options
  • 01-02-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

??? Sugesstions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

What does he sugggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JUSTaCURIOCITY

that Universe is made of tubes extended from main source like a branches

I can not paste a picture here

He was lecturing in Trinity College - Science Gallery - yesterday about Einstein theory that he used in his research relating time travel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

are u talkin bout cosmic strings?

yes ..also - i cannot believe in what his diagram presents

Its just theoretical you don't have to believe in it. I can't understand it much I can see where the idea of it came from. But what I dont understand is that he says the universe created itself with that circular motion but in my mind it has to of come from somewhere. Like, how can it just be rotating? something has to of made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Yes but is time real ???

Or is it just a human invention

or is time entropy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 T3h-Slayer

wow. well... could someone explains the cosmic string thing and give more details abt what that Professor J Richard Gott said. it sound interesting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

time is real. its actually called the 4th dimension by prof gott and other astro physics types. but time moves faster or slower depending where you are in the universe eg near a black hole it moves a lot slower. his cosmic string theory says that these cosmic strings bend time space. an eg is imagine piece of paper as space time running from one end to another, a cosmic string in the middle distorts it so the ends of the paper start to bend towards each other. time is runnin slower in the middle of the paper where the string is. if you found a way to jump from one end of the paper to the other you would time travel as time in the middle is runnin much slower. but as far as i know these strings are stil theoretical with no evidence they exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

time is real. its actually called the 4th dimension by prof gott and other astro physics types. but time moves faster or slower depending where you are in the universe eg near a black hole it moves a lot slower. his cosmic string theory says that these cosmic strings bend time space. an eg is imagine piece of paper as space time running from one end to another, a cosmic string in the middle distorts it so the ends of the paper start to bend towards each other. time is runnin slower in the middle of the paper where the string is. if you found a way to jump from one end of the paper to the other you would time travel as time in the middle is runnin much slower. but as far as i know these strings are stil theoretical with no evidence they exist.
    If what you say above is his theory then its not really anything new. This is Einsteins theory of relativity and it is in fact gravity which causes the distortion.

String theory is also nothing new. Its been around for decades. To basically sum it up in a sentence it is like the strings of a guitar. The music created is the universe, and its the frequency/vibration of the strings which create all the components of the universe.

Does he explain how someone is meant to jump from one end to another of a distirtion? For that to happen you must leave the plain on which everything sits. In otherwords you must leave this dimenson. Just like jumping over a gap, you're briefly up in the air.

dont really know to be honest. i watched programme on sky not too long ago and he was on it with couple other guys each saying his piece and basically what he said, or as i understood it, is what i posted. cant remember how he said to jump from one point to another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

time travel is possible.....if you could travel at 99% of the speed of light in one direction for five years and then turn around and travel home at same speed, 10 years would pass for you but a lot more would pass for the people you left behind..possibly 20yrs or more.....time travel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Only time will tell....

heheh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 T3h-Slayer

so, in other word, the guy simply took the theories concerning warp drives and applied it to time travel.. still looks quite interesting though.

scully74 wrote: »
    time travel is possible.....if you could travel at 99% of the speed of light in one direction for five years and then turn around and travel home at same speed, 10 years would pass for you but a lot more would pass for the people you left behind..possibly 20yrs or more.....time travel

in fairness thats not time travel in the true sense of what a person thinks when time travel is mentioned. its a technicality and a cop out as far as im concerned. prof gott and others use this example also but its not the same as getting in your delorean and going back to 1955!! they used another example, an astronaut who spent time in space came back to earth few microseconds younger then everyone else who stayed on earth. they claimed he was the first time traveller because of it! COP OUT!

Advertisement