Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competitor copying site content and operating illegally

Options
  • 01-02-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

hypoteticly speaking what would be the case if a competitor of another business copied that businesses website content and ideas even if it was just a tiny amount of text but was still a direct copy of the other site on a pricing description and the only text they change is the price to undercut the other business?

if the site that copies the site is also appearing to offer the same service but cheaper and you know they dont have the appropriate insurance and they are lieing to customers what can be the consequences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Hypothetically, I would go and speak to my solicitor about copyright infringment.

However, I don't believe that it's an offence to use the same pricing structure as someone else. As for the other issues, that's a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Hi there

I have done a project on something similar recently - although it was the copying of a logo and colours but I know there is an element of tort called "passing-off". You have to be able to prove loss of goodwill or loss of business but the best thing to do would be to discuss it with a solicitor!

Advertisement