Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freemasons Question

Options
  • 01-02-2009 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

A question to those boards users who are involved in Freemasonry.

Do you believe you fully understand the organisation you are a member of? If not, then I would like to know why you would be part of an organisation when it's motives are concealed from you, and as such could be contrary to your own heartfelt morals & dogma?

Do you understand the aims of freemasonry? 19 votes

I am a mason, I understand fully.
    5% 1 vote
    I am a mason, I don't fully understand the organisation.
    31% 6 votes
    Not a mason, they're harmless.
    10% 2 votes
    Not a mason, unsure of them.
    52% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Why limit that question to Freemasonry?

Any organisation that one is a member of could have motives or objectives concealed from its regular members.

Believing that you fully understand the organisation doesn't mean that there aren't hidden agenda. Rather, it suggests that if there are, they're well enough hidden that you don't know about them.

So the more general question would seem to be "how can anyone be a member of any organisation, when that organisation could have motives concealted from them which could be contrary to their own morals and dogma".

For the record, I'm not a Freemason.

Then again, I could be, and just lying because I want to keep that hidden from you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

bonkey wrote: »
    Why limit that question to Freemasonry?

Any organisation that one is a member of could have motives or objectives concealed from its regular members.

Believing that you fully understand the organisation doesn't mean that there aren't hidden agenda. Rather, it suggests that if there are, they're well enough hidden that you don't know about them.

So the more general question would seem to be "how can anyone be a member of any organisation, when that organisation could have motives concealted from them which could be contrary to their own morals and dogma".

For the record, I'm not a Freemason.

Then again, I could be, and just lying because I want to keep that hidden from you ;)

That's certainly true Bonkey, and you know me and my distrust of many organisations (CFR, Trilaterals, Bilderbergers etc.), however freemasonry is one of the unique esoteric secret societies in which secrets are only revealed to those who are initiated into higher degrees. Knowing this from the outset, it has always perplexed me why people would join an organisation, knowing that from the outset they do not fully understand the motivations of said organisation. Does it bother masons that eventually they may find out that the beliefs of the organisation they are part of are completely at odds with their own beliefs? By that stage of course, indoctrination should have taken place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Kernel wrote: »
    That's certainly true Bonkey, and you know me and my distrust of many organisations (CFR, Trilaterals, Bilderbergers etc.), however freemasonry is one of the unique esoteric secret societies in which secrets are only revealed to those who are initiated into higher degrees. Knowing this from the outset, it has always perplexed me why people would join an organisation, knowing that from the outset they do not fully understand the motivations of said organisation. Does it bother masons that eventually they may find out that the beliefs of the organisation they are part of are completely at odds with their own beliefs? By that stage of course, indoctrination should have taken place.

You could say the same about most organisations. If you join a large company, you don't know the inner workings of it until you move up the ladder. People at the bottom usually don't need to know everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

You could say the same about most organisations. If you join a large company, you don't know the inner workings of it until you move up the ladder. People at the bottom usually don't need to know everything.

Yeah... that's what bonkey said, and my reply was what you quoted. Again, what's the point in joining a secret organisation whose goals are unknown to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Noble Knight

Do you believe you fully understand the organisation you are a member of? If not, then I would like to know why you would be part of an organisation when it's motives are concealed from you, and as such could be contrary to your own heartfelt morals & dogma?

I am not ashamed to say that I belong to this Fraternity and that I understand fully what it is all about. The question itself implies a biased nature towards those who have a problem with the order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nobody has given me the handshake.

It appears I'm the only freemason here, but there is loads of CT'ers.

Unfair, I call a NCTO.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement