Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the forum under Hosted?

Options
  • 01-02-2009 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

This has bugged me for quite some time, and I've asked the question within running threads. I've never gotten a clear answer, and as such feel that it deserves to be addressed. Why is the Conspiracy Theories forum hidden in the 'Hosted' section? Why not put it in the Rec (with paranormal) or Soc categories?

Is this a conspiracy by the boards management to contain the forum and stop it from becoming too popular? Is there a feeling that if the forum got too popular that it would 'take over' the site? Anyone got any theories or better yet, answers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Over on the Sys menu, there's a Forums category. Under that there's a forums Rejected and Approved forum.

If you search in there, you'll find two requests for this forum....three if you include the tinfoil hat request.

When the OK finally came through, there was already the Irish Skeptics in Hosted and this was mentioned in the thread as a "wouldn't this do instead".

My guess is that it was put under hosted because its a sort of counter-foil to IS, and IS was mentioned in that thread.

Also, (again guessing) after several failed attempts to get a forum started and the general lack of seriousness in a number of posts in the request thread, it wasn't seen as something serious which had a lot of support.

Since then, its been left where it is.

More than that...you'd need Cloud to tell you why he made that decision back in 2005 (if he remembers), and/or an Admin to tell you why its never been moved.

Also perhaps relevant...I can't remember anyone ever starting a "Please move this forum" thread about CT...only "Why is this forum where it is" threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Its because people might find out the truth .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

To answer the OP it was because it was seen as a good idea to put it in the same category as the Irish Skeptics forum to try and encourage discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I would submit that the Irish Skeptics are a group, and as such I can understand why that forum are under hosted, however, Conspiracy Theories is a subject and as such I don't think it belongs here. I think even putting it with the Irish Skeptics group shows a disdain for the field of conspiracy theories on boards - a more paranoid man than myself might go so far as to suggest that the purpose behind the decision was to stifle the forum and 'keep the loons in check'. How many regular posters of Irish Skeptics are posters here anyway? Not many.

Any chance of a push to get CT to Rec or Soc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Kernel wrote: »

What does it matter, other than having to follow the rules of boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

I would suggest the best candidates to make such a push are the users of the forum.

People like yourself.

Why not start a thread in Feedback / Help Desk, and make your case?

What does it matter, other than having to follow the rules of boards?

It will create more interest in the forum and a greater amount of ideas and information.
    bonkey wrote:
    I would suggest the best candidates to make such a push are the users of the forum.

People like yourself.

Why not start a thread in Feedback / Help Desk, and make your case?

I would, but I'm banned from Feedback for a few years now... :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...a more paranoid man than myself might go so far as to suggest that the purpose behind the decision was to stifle the forum and 'keep the loons in check'.
    If anything, the rules out here on the fringes are less strict than on the mainstream site. How does having the forum in Hosted 'keep the loons in check'?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If anything, the rules out here on the fringes are less strict than on the mainstream site. How does having the forum in Hosted 'keep the loons in check'?

I think the decision to put it in the same subcat as Irish Skeptics was used to keep the loons in check. Appears to be true oB, no?

• Advertisement

Well chaps, any news on whether we can break into mainstream or not?

No-one appears to have asked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Fcukit I'll ask

I'm off to start a feedback thread, I'll keep you updated Kernel

right so

thread started here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59050683#post59050683

please give yer input there Lads

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

I think this forum should be moved to a more appropriate area. I only found the board by chance when I noticed it on the home page due to someone having posted recently. There is no reason why it should not fall under Rec or Soc in my opinion

Fair play for starting the feedback thread. It appears to be going well, yay! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Aye Matey!

Fair play for starting the feedback thread. It appears to be going well, yay! :)

Well!?! Have you read the responses and cumulative amount of slurs against the CT forum members?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Aye Matey! wrote: »
    Well!?! Have you read the responses and cumulative amount of slurs against the CT forum members?
    They'll be ignored and the admins will decide themselves.

Aye Matey! wrote: »

Yes, I'm used to being abused and called a nutjob etc. on here. I mean well as in the illuminati of boards (admins/smods) are receptive to the idea. :) I actually think that we've gleaned some respect for this forum.

wht is this Illuminati Forum exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

So the consensus over on Feedback appears to be in favour of a New World Board Order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

I think it would be a great idea and hope it gets moved.:)

Still no movement. Bonkey seems to have changed his position to keeping it in the dumping ground of hosted... MC's no longer a mod. What's going on?!? :eek: I wish I weren't banned from feedback. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Still no movement. Bonkey seems to have changed his position to keeping it in the dumping ground of hosted... MC's no longer a mod. What's going on?!? :eek: I wish I weren't banned from feedback. :(
    I wouldn't say Bonkey changed his position, more that he was saying that he'd go with the flow as the actual location of the forum doesn't really matter to him.

And I wouldn't worry too much about there being nothing done so far. The admins have a lot on their plate so these things take time. DeVore's post seemed positive though, so that's something.

Advertisement