Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing table

Options
  • 01-02-2009 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

hi

we are starting to look at getting furniture for 1st child due 1/05/09

Any ideas what to look at regarding changing table/ mats?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Better to get a sturdy chest of drawers ( that are the right height - not too low) to put the mat on as then you have storage. Or if like me you're stuck for space I got a Cot top changer. A mat you can pick up for around a €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I've neither, to be honest - no room for a changing table, and I also found that they were a little low (I'm 5'8") so I'd be better changing him on a mat on the floor on my hands and knees than crouched over slightly. I sit the mat on the top part of cot when I'm changing him upstairs (he sleeps at the bottom, I remove the mat and put it down the side of the cot when not in use). I have two padded mats, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Oh, and the little travel one that lives in his nappy bag for when we're out and about. As for the bath, I find sitting the baby bath on the kitchen table puts it to a better height than the one included in the baby changing units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I don't have one, but was thinking of getting one... I change her on my lap... or if we're out and about I have a changing mat in her nappy bag...

I put the bath on the coffee table and bath her in that, cos the sitting room is the warmest room... (no radiator in the bathroom :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I used to change my boys and my mindees on a padded changing mat on a wide built-in unit and had loads of storage underneath for each little ones packet of nappies, wipes, change of clothes and lotions etc. It had doors on it so everything looked neat and tidy. It is in my older son's room.

I haven't looked after babies for the last 2 years but have just taken on 2 babies. I'm going to get a changing station on casters and keep it in my downstairs bathroom, then when someone is using the shower I can wheel it out of the way. It wouldn't be fair on my 13 year old son to continue changing in his room especially stinking his room out. :eek:

I'm 5'3" but I have rarely changed on the floor, bed and wouldn't change a baby on my knee. I need to protect my back, not as young as I was. After having a baby your back is more vunerable so it's worth protecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Like a PP, we bought a kitchen sideboard/dresser type piece of furniture (without the top shelving bit). It has 3 drawers and 3 presses and we put the changing mat on top of that. Its perfect height for changing (I am 5'5") and lots of storage for nappies, creams, change of clothes for then they pee on themselves lol.

We got a good sturdy one, v important.

• Advertisement
Advertisement