Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COMMERCE OR COMMERCE AND CHINESE IN UCD

Options
  • 31-01-2009 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

HI,
    I am writing regarding the commerce and chinese programme and the commerce programme in UCD.I am currently in 6th year and filling out my CAO very soon.I am very interested in this course,but before i make any decision i am interested in hearing some views on the course.I'm currently doing german and while i would not consider myself as "very good" at it, i would hope to get a good "B".Do you need to be very good at languages to do this course?,were you?.Secondly, is the chinese aspect of the course extremely difficult or does it just require a lot of work?Finally which course would you reccomend Commerce or Commerce with chinese ,if so why? AN OBJECTIVE VIEW PLEASE.,
    Sound lad;):D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Commerce with Chinese would be the better, since Chinese is becoming the new business language if it not already. Itd be more sought after than just commerce from future employers. I know someone whos doing it and Commerce is supposed to be boring and youll get CHinese homework every night! I saw some of the Chinese homework and you will basically be tracing over the chinese characters for homework! Like the books you get kids to teach them to write. Of course Chinese is hard work youll be starting a new language from scratch, and theres no chinese words that sound like english words like in French.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Gunner09 wrote: »
    HI,
    I am writing regarding the commerce and chinese programme and the commerce programme in UCD.I am currently in 6th year and filling out my CAO very soon.I am very interested in this course,but before i make any decision i am interested in hearing some views on the course.I'm currently doing german and while i would not consider myself as "very good" at it, i would hope to get a good "B".Do you need to be very good at languages to do this course?,were you?.Secondly, is the chinese aspect of the course extremely difficult or does it just require a lot of work?Finally which course would you reccomend Commerce or Commerce with chinese ,if so why? AN OBJECTIVE VIEW PLEASE.,
    Sound lad;):D

Personally i would go with German or French - are you going to work in China, hell no? Will there be Chinese MNC's here, hell no? Even if they will speak English.

China is already suffering badly from economic downturn - like construction here, an economy based on cheap labour and nought else is not going to raise all boats. There has been a great deal of social unrest in China due to unemployment in the past few months - mostly unreported, but the ST had a good feature on it yesterday.

A booming Germany now that the unificiation process seems paid for looks the best bet. Old europe is still the engine for growth outside USA.

I'm well past 50 - so i'm not doing LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gunner09

HI,
    I am filling out the CAO and am not sure whether to pick commerce with german or commerce with chinese in UCD.I currently do german for the leaving cert and hope to get a B in it.Which course would provide more oppurtunities or which is better.Looking for info from anyone,
    sound lad,
    tom:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Gunner09 wrote: »
    HI,
    I am filling out the CAO and am not sure whether to pick commerce with german or commerce with chinese in UCD.I currently do german for the leaving cert and hope to get a B in it.Which course would provide more oppurtunities or which is better.Looking for info from anyone,
    sound lad,
    tom:D;)

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Beware that some of the Commerce and language courses wont provide you with all the exemptions for professional accounting exams that a pure commerce degree will (provided it is accounting you want to pursue).
    This will also prevent you from doing a masters in accounting as you need full exemptions from your first round of professional exams (also called CAP 1).
    Check with UCD or the relevant accounting body before you apply for the course.
    Of course, if its one of the other areas of business you plan on doing, this will be of no relevance to you.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement