Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD Password

Options
  • 31-01-2009 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all, has anyone ever come accross a problem of a laptop looking for a HDD Password on an Acer Extensa 5220 with a western digital HDD. It looks for this upon starting up. It seems its not a bios password. I e-mailed western digital and they told me to replace the harddrive. All help appreciated. Thanksicon5.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,061 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Bagel3 wrote: »
    Hi all, has anyone ever come accross a problem of a laptop looking for a HDD Password on an Acer Extensa 5220 with a western digital HDD. It looks for this upon starting up. It seems its not a bios password. I e-mailed western digital and they told me to replace the harddrive. All help appreciated. Thanksicon5.gif

if its a hard drive password as bios time then not much you can do, you'll need the password or a new drive

if kind of a security measure if the laptop gets stolen, the data on the drive is protected

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yes, we use HDD passwords in work on all our laptops.

There isn't much you can do, bar put in the password. Moving the HDD to another machine won't work, as the password is actually on the HDD itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Bagel3

Thanks for reply

Advertisement